Swaziland May 2010 - From a Helmet's Perspective <Part 1>

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skotse_Boer

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Ok, so its my first RR, :newbie:
been trying to put one together since last year, so decided to take the plunge and break the virginity, so please, be gentle. (Most of this was taken from a video from a HelmetCam)

Having been to Swazi last year, we decided it was the best bet, as its got lots of dirt, lots of mountains and the people are really great. It’s a bit like Scotland, except its dry, warm, dry, warm, dry, warm AND you don’t need a overdraft to buy a bottle of Scotch :bar:

Day 1
So we meet at Middelburg Ultra, and meet up with another pack of dogs, heading for Swazi, but one of the girls had a bad off in the morning and was rushed to hospital (hope she gets better soon)
So we head off for BarbieTown  :pot:  to the Gold Nugget Guesthouse, with some advice from Chrissie we get off the NBoring at Machadadorp and manage to get some dirt around Vygeboom Dam.

01swazi.jpg

02swazi.jpg

03swazi.jpg

04swazi.jpg

05swazi.jpg

We arrive to a warm welcome, cold beers and a braai already on the go. Definitely recommend this place to anyone. Although Chrissie was seen taking a ride down the dark path to the dark side….(don’t leave your keys in your bike)  :peepwall:

06swazi.jpg

“BeemerMike”
08swazi.jpg

The Bike “Thief”
07swazi.jpg

After hammering a few “rusty nails”, meeting some great people, and eating and drinking a “wee” bit too much, we called it a night.

Day 2
We headed out the next morning and off for the border post to Bulembu. A huge thanks to “BeemerMike” who set the cops up at the border to tell me that my Katoom was stolen. (Watch out for those camera fines Mike, I got your plate hehehe)

09swazi.jpg

The road to Bulembu is nice and relaxed easy going, with some awesome scenery..

10swazi.jpg

11swazi.jpg

12swazi.jpg

We decide to take the west side down to Maguga Dam and then follow the “Well of Spirits Eco Trail” from the T4A maps. This was the definitely the best decision of the day. The trail is literally a trail, and doesn’t look like it sees much, if any, traffic. Lots of valleys and hills. The road gets progressively worse the lower you get and there is some serious erosion.

13swazi.jpg

14swazi.jpg

This was probably a good intermediate trail, and we were both glad to have gone to Moolmanshoek last year with CountryTrax and done the course. With Jan in one ear and Stefan in the other, we made it through some fairly technical stuff.
maptrack2.jpg

From the foot bridge back to the main road is pretty normal gravel road.
We headed straight to Ezulwini Valley and the Lugogo Sun, just in time for the rugby.