Take bike to Australia or not ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DakarDirk

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 660 Z
I've got a very difficult decision to make and would like your opinions, please.
My white 2011 GS 800 has 13000km on the clock with lots of farkles and goes very well.
I'm planning to join my family in Australia end of next year and wanted to take the bike with me.
I'll be using it for commuting (consider you don't exceed the modest speed limits there) as well as some mild adventure riding up mountain passes and dirt roads with my brother and his Yammy 1200 Tenere. Our wives will only join us on occasion. Mine is not mad about pillion due to an accident we had when at varsity many years ago.
So here is the question:
Do I clean and semi dismantle and crate the 800 and pack it in the container, which will cost money and lots of PT (I'm not so young anymore).
Or do I sell it here for about R95 000 (if I'm lucky) and buy a brand new Yammy 660 tenere there for same price ? So I'm downgrading from a R130 000 bike with farkles (BMW) to a R 95 000 bare bike (660).
I'll lose all the farkles except the Trax top box that I can take.
I'll need to assemble the 800 on the other side, roadworthy and license it. Whereas I can walk into a Yammy dealer and get a brand new 660 with guarantee and on road condition. No PT incurred to ship the 800 over.
I've had a thumper before - BMW 650 Dakar - but the twin 800 is just beautiful. I'll have to keep myself in with the 800 to stay inside the speed limits though !
Do I export the 800 or buy a new 660 over there ??? Is it a big downgrade to go back to a single cylinder ??? Can I pillion with the 660 ?