Tankwa Karoo to Cederberge, advice and suggestions needed please.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Air Guide

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW G650 X-challenge
Good day all

I am busy planning my first adventure trip. As it will only be myself and the lady as pillion on the G650 gs, I am trying to avoid the more technical sections as far as possible.

We need to attend a weekend wedding in Porterville starting the Friday evening and we will be leaving Bellville the Monday morning, so have time on our side.

So far the plan is to take the Bain's Kloof pass to Ceres, then towards Op die Berg and then take the Katbakkies pass to Join the R355 to Tankwa Karoo. We will spend the first night at Tankwa Guest Farm.

From this point I need the advice and suggestions from you with a bit more experience and knowledge of the area. After exploring the Tankwa park, I would like to start routing West towards Clanwilliam. As I am a bit nervous of the Doringrivier crossing and the rocky roads on that section I would prefer taking an alternative route to our next overnight stop at Enjo Nature Farm.

My first option is to exit the Tankwa at the Eastern Boundary and take the Gannaga Pass to Middelpos(Fuel stop) and then up to Calvinia and then via the Botterkloof pass R364 then towards Wupperthal and then Enjo. What is the condition of the road between Tankwa and Middelpos and in the Tankwa Park on route to the Gannaga pass?

My second option depending if I can secure fuel at Stonehenge is to after exploring Tankwa park for a bit take the R355 Northbound  and then take the Soutpandpad to where it intersects with the Botterkloof pass and then take it from there. It sounds that this route is not too difficult?

I feel it is a bit of a watse to go all the way up to Calvinia and then turn back down again for Clainwilliam/Citrusdal area. And this will also make me rushed through the Tankwa Park to get to Enjo the afternoon after leaving Tankwa Guest Farm in the morning.

After Enjo we will spend two nights between Clanwilliam and Citrusdal to explore the area before arriving in Porterville on the Friday for the weekend.

I have been trying to plot the route and post it here, but can't find all the roads and routes on Google Maps or BaseCamp.

Any advice or input would be appreciated from somebody that has done this area in recent times.
Please also bear in mind that I have limited off-road experience but I am comfortable enough on gravel passes and the likes to do the trip.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

kind Regards

Francois