Tenere 660Z - What Mods should I get?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Padawan

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 660 Z
Hi Everyone,

I think it is time to add a few extras to my bike. Currently it has a Givi top box, Leo Vince pipes, Givi touring screen, Yamaha handguards and 50/50 Mitas tyres.

I need advice on what is most important next:

I really want to the following (it is also fairly cheap):

(1) Steel bash plate. I am not sure if it is necessary to replace it now or wait for the Yamaha one to break? What are the options?

(2) Wider steel foot pegs. The rubber on the Tenere foot pegs can be removed, but it is fairly small.

(3) A 12v socket for gps/cell phone/compressor. Options? Price?

(4) A Garmin E-trex 30 and GPS mount. (perhaps the one item I don't need know but want!)

I am not sure if I really need the following right now:

(6) Crash bars. How important is this? It seems like the grey plastic panels on the side already protects the engine and fuel tank. Is it worth getting the crash bars? Do I go with Yamaha or something else?

(7) Hand guards. The Yamaha ones suck and I have already broken one at the point where it attaches to the mirror. It also seems to block almost no wind in the winter. But, then again it will probably still protect the levers and even my hands (despite it being broken at the mirror point?). Do I go with the barkbusters and can you easily install it yourself?

(8) Luggage system. Paniers is too expensive and means nothing of the rest above. Soft luggage? At the moment I am mostly doing 1 day and weekend rides. Not planning any tours in the next 3 months.

So do I have my priorities straight? I cannot get everything and would only like to spend about 5K now...