Testing the Funduro in the Magalies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kykdaar

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Zundapp (all models)
Been busy lately stripping down the Funduro and fixing a few things ::)

The first group of photo's shows the bike in pieces getting some long-overdue mechanical attention including -

new rear brake pads,
rebuilt shock (notice the top mounting nut was completely sheared off);
complete carb service - getting to the carbs means pulling the airbox out as well as removing the rear exhaust piece.

That was later to be followed by a new voltage rectifier, 2x new spark plug caps, 4x new exhaust gaskets, valve adjustment, new chain and sprockets, powerpoint plug and TKC front tyre  :deal:. 

After all that and being away on business for a while, I was keen to take it on gravel to see how the bike now performed. The last time I took it out for a trip was with the other dogs to the canals and the bike did not run properly at all. I also had my hands full with the slippery Annakee front tyre and half-way through the ride the rear shock self-destructed.

So today, although I crossed paths with the other dogs at the Broederstroom Sasol, I decided to go solo (as no one took me up on my previous night's invitation to join  :'( ), test the Funduro and the repairs made, and finally determine whether this bike is really dirt-capable at all or whether I would have been better off sticking to the KLR.

The route was basically a trip from Pretoria, over the nek and then a westward loop through the Magaliesburg, Zuurplaat, Boons, Syferfontein, Tarlton and then back via the N14. 318 km's in total, left at 7 and back at 1300 in time to light the braai.

I only post a few pics as mosts routes through the Magalies have been covered before on the forum and is well known to members.

It was, however, a beautiful morning for riding and apart from freezing my arse off initially, the first thing I noticed on my way to Broederstroom is that the bike really flies. 140km/h requires little effort and the little Funduro pulls nicely and briskly at full throttle. This is also the first bike that I owned where the speedo underreads according to the GPS. Indicated 120km/h equals 123km/h on the GPS and at indicated 130km/h I was actually doing 135km/h.

Fuel efficiency has also improved markedly - 21.49km/l as opposed to the previous 18km/l under similiar conditions. Thus a first reason to smile.

Second reason for happiness is handling. The TKC front makes a huge difference and is confidence inspiring, the bike is light and nimble and jumping on a footpeg produces instant results. Rebound setting was, however, way too hard though and on corrugated roads with a loose sand covering I was losing traction and jumping around like a mx racer. Easy to rectify with a small screw adjustment on the shock.

When I went to fast into a sudden blind corner the rear wheel locked up easily and the subsequent death-defying sideways slide was controllable with some opposite lock, a touch of throttle control and a quick prayer ;D

When compared to the KLR, the Funduro lacks the instant roll-on power to lift the wheel over sharp rocks and ruts and it's gearing is perhaps too long making for a lot of gear changes. I did not try wheeling it, but I am doubtful whether it could.  However, it is much more comfortable than the KLR and covers distance more easily. For scenic gravel drives it seems to be more than adequate and that is all that I require at this stage.

A few more modifications and repairs and it will be ready for Namibia come December ;D.

To the other dogs that did the Canals - I hope you enjoyed it. Till next time.

Attachments

• Image00011.jpg
    Image00011.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 227
  • Image00002.jpg
    Image00002.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 223
  • Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 228
  • Image00012.jpg
    Image00012.jpg