The case of the mysterious tweety stickers on the roads to L'aghulas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hando

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha Super Tenere
Yesterday Myself on my F650Gs and Tweets on his F800GS decided to go and find some dirt roads for the afternoon. The plan was to ride in the direction of Cape Aghulas and see how far we get.

We met up at World of Accessories in Somerset West  and hit the N2 towards Grabouw.  As we started of Tweets mentioned that he needed to fill up and so the plan was to stop at the filling station next to the N2.

As we stoped at the traffic light after the bridge , I saw Tweets's F800 give a bit of a jerk and he coasted past me and stopped at the side of the road. Turns out that Tweets needed fuel a bit more urgently than he thought. Just as I was about to go and buy him some fuel , Committed rocked up on his 1200 GS and a new plan was hatched. With a tow rope attached to his footpeg Committed towed Tweets to the fuel station that was about 800 meters down the road.

Now with the 800's stomach nice and full we made a beeline up Sir Louwry's pass to stop at the 'Orchard' to do something about Tweets's stomach that was feeling very neglected.

sml_IMG_0128.jpg

sml_IMG_0129.jpg

With his Stomach sorted out we hit the N2 and turned off to the right at a road marked 'The Valley'

sml_IMG_0130.jpg

sml_IMG_0133.jpg

The Valley road runs into the Highlands road and dropped us on the Hermanus road on the other side of the mountain. We went past Hermanus and stopped in Stanford for a quick cooldrink (and an apple for Tweets).

sml_IMG_0134.jpg

From there it was a quick trip up the tar until we turned right onto the dirt towards Cape Aghulas.

At a T-sction Tweets stopped to investigate a Tweetybird sticker that mysteriously appeared on the road sign.

sml_IMG_0135.jpg

We followed the dirt past Sandies Glen and was greeted by this view as we crossed the ridge.

sml_IMG_0138.jpg

At the T-section with the tar road to Napier Tweets investigated another Tweetybird sticker stuck on the road sign.

sml_IMG_0139.jpg

On the tar we opened the throttles and made very good speed towards Cape Aghulas. The cross wind was extreme and I still have a crink in my neck from fighting the helmet in the wind.

We stopped at Cape aghulas for the compulsory photo and then made our way to the filling station for some fuel and a lekker fishcake.

sml_IMG_0140.jpg

We hit the dirt just out of Struisbaai and went thorugh Elim and Baardskeerdersbos. In Baardskeerdersbos the mystery of the stickers was reavealed when I caught the cuplrit in the act .

sml_IMG_0141.jpg

The last pic I took was of this farm yard between Baardskeerdersbos and Stanford.

sml_IMG_0143.jpg

From there we made haste to get back home before sunset.

On a side note :  I must say that the little 650 Rotax motor has earned all of my respect, and then some. To keep up with Tweets on the 800 I had to really twist the throttle and the little Rotax did it all without so much as a misfire. At times I was doing 6500 RPM for minutes on end and she was always willing to keep going.