The Groovers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cono

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Following the write-up "Bella Bella Hot water https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=41039.0 and the release (finally) of new photographs from Ryan, I thought, what the heck, if no-one else reads the write-up, at least all "The Groovers" can check out the photies and have a good laugh at our trip we had in Warbaths. If you had not read the write-up https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=41039.0, you will miss a big part of the story.

Now the name "Groovers" is the copyright of Marc. Sitting in his office the other evening still having a good laugh about our antics and bike rides, this "Groover" grabs my very, very old open face helmut and drops it onto his head. He starts to run around his office opening cupboards, all the time ranbling on about his trip to the USA many years ago. Marc already had us in stiches of laughter and I for one, knew here comes another good one.

So the old Groover, pulls his head from out of his cupboard, he is wearing "those sunglasses" he bought on his trip in the USA. Memories came flooding back to those old enough to remember the two great hero's who rode Kawasaki Police Specials.
Yep, those two boys "Jon & Ponch".
Marc does his CHiPs TV Show impersonation.
Groover.jpg

A good likeness, if I must admit.  :thumleft:
https://media.monstersandcritics.com/articles/1313832/article_images/chips3.jpg

A prime example of an Early Americian Police bike reministant of the CHiPs era although it is slighlt different to the actual Kawasaki Police specials used in the TV Show. The bikes pictured above are the P series where the CHiPs Kawasaki's were the C series bikes which were earlier released models and had the oval windshield rather than the later model's fiberglass fairing. (see below)Although the CHiPs TV Show ran from 1977-1983they stuck with the C Series throughout.
Check out interesting article: https://shane-nz.blogspot.com/2009/04/chips-kawasaki-police-specials-in-new.html

Here is that Groover again, now very relaxed sitting at the campsite at Klein Kariba, where the rest of the Groovers  joined Gareth and his Dad- Craig for a great weekend away to do a lot of swimming and sight seeing. YES, a lot of sight seeing was had in the hot water swimming pools of Klein Kariba.
We also met some new biker friends riding a black KLR 650, nogal. You will see these two Groovers later and get to hear their story.
groovers_01.jpg

The Groover in the lekker green hat, is looking like he is pissed is Cono.  :biggrin: And if anyone is to blame, blame it on Buddy (Greg). He is the one who went out and bought what we have since fondly named "First Cotch"  :pot:

Larger than life wearing a green shirt  to match his "bling-bling" KLR650, is Green Bull (Shaun), with Gareth looking on in amazement at the old Groovers.
groovers_02.jpg

I have in the previous article mentioned that Gareth has Cerebral Palsey. To find out more about this condition - see https://cerebralpalseyguide.com/.

My wife Teresa and myself and the Groovers were fortunate to be able to spend the best part of the morning of the Annual Toy Run, with Gareth and Craig. A side-car fitted to a exceptionally beautiful bike was the mode of transport, we found when we arrived at Gareth's home. Gareth was strapped in and waiting for the Groovers to get going. The excitement and joy at seeing his old mates from Bella Bella., was something amazing to witness. We pulled away with Harleys, the KLR's, Versys and other dinky toys and got to Steeldale Shopping Centre and rode together in the mass ride off to Nasrec. As we all rode side by side next to the side-car, it must have been the most amazing experience any son can have, knowing that his father had gone to great lengths to build up the side-car and bike, on which regular breakfast runs are taken. I applausd Graig, for his great spirit and heart for not shrinking away from his responsibility as a father with a son with CP. The love and bond between the two is clearly and visibly strong and has been since the day Gareth was born. For 21 years Craig and his family have dedicated their lives to the well-being and comfort of their son and will continue doing so, until the day they are no longer able to.

And here is a Gareth's Uncle Greg. Buddy as we fondly know him, is not good at making choices in beverages, hence the "First Cotch"  :ricky: whiskey he got for our trip. Buddy was not fortunate to ride through to Warmbaths on a bike, but Gareth was fortuante to have this Groover drive him through from Johannesburg to Klein Kariba, in the bakkie with the tents, wheelchair and odds and ends.
groovers_03.jpg

Craig does not sit down too long, before he jumps up to either feed Gareth or give him something to drink.
groovers_04.jpg

And here is one for Greg. "Hey, Buddy.. do you recognize the bottle on the table between the Coke and Mineral Water." Yep,, that's the famous bottle of "First Cotch"  :3some: . But don't worry old Buddy, we may not approve of your choice in beverages, but we approve of the company that you keep.  :thumleft:
Thanks, for all the help you gave us and Gareth on this trip.
groovers_05.jpg

The reason for the late posting of these photo's is the fault of Ryan, wearing white T-shirt. The shot taken, by the looks of it was one of those automated self-timer pics. Ryan, put his fancy camera on the roof of a car, set the timer, ran like hell and sat in the chair and everyone held their "First Cotch" breaths .... and nothing.  :dousing:  This was repeated a couple of times, until this shot was finally made.

Notice the laughing: imaposer: Gareth,  :imaposer: who must have been thinking to himself " Forget about these old men calling themselves Groovers, they are more like Loosers".
Gareth,  ::) I hope your wheel chair gets a puncture and you piss in your pants. Wait, you already do.  :imaposer:  ;D
groovers_06.jpg

Here finally a photo, with the whole group including the photographer. He ran like hell to get into the shot.
groovers_07.jpg

groovers_08.jpg

Bling-Bling belonging to Marc.
groovers_09.jpg

Green Bulls Mansion of a Tent. He zipped himself into the tent, the way you would in a sleeping back. The tent only cost about 4 samoosa’s. But that is the story you need to hear from Shaun himself.
groovers_10.jpg

Bling-Bling belonging to Craig.
groovers_11.jpg

On our initial arrival at the gates of Klein Kariba, we noted the black KLR 650. It was Buks and Heila from on the other side of the Vaal River, in the Free State/ Vereeniging / Van Der Bijl Park. / Sasolburg.
Buks works contracts up in the middle of Africa and spends up to six months away from home. He had just arrived back from his contract work and decided to grab his wife and his bike (wonder which he missed more and which one he grabbed first - my bet is on the bike) and take Heila away for a  :mwink: romantic weekend.  :mwink: I still think, it was the bike he missed most when away from home and wanted to ride the KLR650 on his first weekend home.  Any self respecting biker would admit, you do have more fun on a bike.  :mwink:
groovers_12.jpg

“First Cotch” taking it’s toll on the Groovers. By the way, I don’t care what anyone thinks about my green hat. It’s my tribute to Kawasaki.
groovers_13.jpg

Heila grinning from ear to ear, to find such a bunch of misfits on one campsite, or was she still  :mwink: very happy to be with her man after him being away for so many months :mwink:. She and Buks saw the Groovers and pulled in for some chain lube as Buk’s bike had not gone anywhere for a long time. The trade-off was “You can have some chain lube, only if you help us finish the “First Cotch”. I was secretly hoping someone would drop the bottle and it would break. Buks and Heila were far too wide awake, unlike some others I know to fumble with the bottle to oblige my wish.
groovers_14.jpg

The KLR 650 (Red), is “Die Hard” (English). My old faithfully has been places most other bikes just think about. Those places are mostly flat on it’s side in rivers or mud or slipping and sliding down steep inclines. Do we refer to bikes as ‘She”. Well, she almost died about a year ago. I really thought she was gone and ended up buying a KLE 650 Versys. The registration I received was XWD and a couple of numbers (GP). I rode to one or two bashes and told everyone, the letters stood for Ex Wild Dog.
Surprise, surprise, old “Die Hard” was booked in with Dr KLR (Graham Thiel) and a couple of months later, she was purring again and doing all the wild things she loves some much. Yep, back into mud pools, slipping and sliding into trees and often just laying down on her side to rest.
Needless to say, I was wrong about “Ex Wild Dog”, it was now “Extreme Wild Dog” for me and the Versys, also enjoying the odd sortie into the bushes just to show the Groovers how it is done.
groovers_15.jpg

Buks from the Free State, sharing his stories into Africa around the braai, which eventually got our meat warm. Take note warm, but not necessarily cooked. Thanks to the Chef’s. Yes, You and You and You too.
groovers_16.jpg

Heila, very impressed that these Groovers knew how to put up tents and keep the place so tidy.
groovers_17.jpg

Gareth, eyeing out Heila, secretly telling her to take him away from the mad bunch of Groovers.
groovers_18.jpg

Well, the braai eventually got going and it’s only fair that this classic shot by Ryan is included into the report.
groovers_19.jpg

The almost brand new KLR650, which Heila and Buks rode in on. It’s a old model, with very low mileage.
groovers_20.jpg

The braai. Plenty of good meat bought for us by Buddy, who rode into Bella Bella to get our supplies and …..wait for it …. Yes, the “First Cotch”  :drif: .
The Chief Braaiers T-Shirt, it says, “The Trout, The Whole Trout, And Nothing But The Trout, So Help Me Cod”
groovers_21.jpg

The Groovers, from left to right, Craig, Shaun and Marc. Also known as “My China’s”. We did a trip to Barberton and sat in the Queen Sheba Mine Recreation Club one evening. As the locals arrived at the pub, Marc would greet them and like a typical boytjie from Joburg South, would say, “ Howzit My China”
A very pissed guy walks in and is greeted by Marc “Howzit My China”, The quick response was “ I’m No China, I’m a Miner”. Ever since, you will still find Marc, greeting his friends “ Howzit My Miner”.
Most would be confused with this strange greeting. So, there you have it. Never greet a Miner with “Howzit My China”, especially when you are sitting in his Pub on his Mine.
groovers_22.jpg

And there you have it, the final part of the story about the Miners, Bling- Bling, Buks and Heila from the Free State.

So to the rest of you Miners, keep those chains lubed, make sure you have money for the toll roads, and a camera ready, but most of all…think about those less privileged than ourselves, who are not able to share the great outdoors and adventure riding, which we are able to. Think about their families, who put all their energy into ensuring their comfort and treat these people with dignity and the same respect you desire.  All that is required is a silent prayer of Thanks to our Almighty and a request to Bless those in need to lessen their load.

Ride safe boys and gals.

Latest posts