The new '09 450 KTM @ Dewildt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plothond

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
I was as excited as could be about this ride and could not wait for today to dawn as was up at 05:20 and made a cup of coffee.
The bike and kit were loaded the evening before and it was a short 10 minute drive to Jaghond's place close by.
AdventureMX was supposed to meet us at 06:00 but the lazy bugger overslept and only got there at 06:20

Here's the lead up to this report
https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=23469.msg407799#msg407799

By the time we got to the meeting point at the factory in Garankuwa well after 7, everyone was kitted up and ready to go

Here I am getting my first grip on the 450 for the day and just itching to test this new wonder piece from Austria in the perfect test ground known as De-Wildt

Dewildt12Oct08002.jpg

AdventureMX still looking fast asleep and my colleague - Plathond on the KTM 300

Dewildt12Oct08001.jpg

The day started well and I got into my rhythem very soon - in fact sooner than normal and soon we had passed the dam and had our first break at Big Tree. I can almost say for sure that this was testimony to the fantastic suspension on these '09 KTM's. In fact - significantly better than on my '04 200

This may just sound like a bit of marketing bumpf - but it is fact - this new generation just soaks up the whoops and riding these buggers became an absolute pleasure.

We started right at the top of 3 fences and was also the beginning of an af-Kark of note
The 450 has loads of torque and beating your way throught he rocks is not a problem until you grab a handful at the wrong time - there's just so much more in reserve, it's scary

Just about here I twisted the right grip a bit much and launched myself off this small little " bump"  ;D

Dewildt12Oct08003.jpg

Here's a lesson in De-Wildt 101 - When landing - do not grab a fistfull  :deal:
The brakes on this bike are nothing short of perfect - so perfect in fact that the De-Wildt flying club initiated a new member and I took off  :eek:

Latest posts