The Pig Plowed.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riaanc

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
I will discuss the actual incident at length later, once I have reviewed the GoPro video about a hundred times.

The short version:

On Friday 10.01.2014 Kim and I left for work aboard the GS 1150. About a kilo from home, doing about 60km/h I touched the front brake and we went down heavily.

Kim sustained 3 broken ribs, a broken right hand repaired with help of a plate and various cuts and bruises.

I snapped 2 ribs and had to have half of the right pinkie amputated. I am having a re-look at the right ankle on Wednesday with sonar and X-Ray, we suspect at minimum a re-occurence of a snapped Achilles tendon.

We had full ATGATT, else the damage to skin would have been extensive.

We were taken from the scene by ambulance, both of us struggled with breathing due to broken ribs.

The bike is at a friend down the road (where the accident took place). I have not had time to look at it yet, but their reports sound like about R10 000 and  a lot of my labour should have her back in showroom condition.

I will re-evaluate my options at that stage.

So, in about 5 weeks I hope to be back riding the Strom and XR 650L.