TheQM – Why we carry the gear we do

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camouflage762

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
First-aid-MAG.jpg

This post is about having some good gear and having a reasonable knowledge of how to use it.
About 4 years ago, I was in the right place at the right time and was able to assist a hijack victim with multiple stab wounds to the chest. He was stabbed and thrown out the vehicle onto the pavement, where he was left.

I happened to have some stock of IFAK basic refills from The QuarterMaster for a "keep the sticky stuff inside" course I was doing later that month.

I managed to get the guy stabilised, with a couple of Critical Wound Bandages and got the silver taco bag out to get him calmed and try keep him from going into shock.

I think the pressure I applied to the wounds may have hurt a little more than the wounds themselves :-D

I got him wrapped and packed and off to definitive care in about 15 minutes. The state ambo arrived in 40.

Some points to ponder: Know the gear you have and know how to use it. Don’t be a gear whore and try and use everything you have. In the excitement, I hauled out a sucking chest wound dressing which I didn’t need. I think the adrenalin took over and I had to stop, take a breath and then carry on.
Do a course. Either a Stop the Bleed or External Haemorrhage Control course to learn what to do.
Get some decent gear. It doesn’t have to be the most expensive, but it must work.

In my humble opinion, the cheapest and simplest way of getting started on having a basic trauma kit is to start with one of the IFAK refill kits and add additional stuff you know how to use to that basic kit.

I now have an IFAK refill kit in all the cars in my family, because I never know when or if I’ll have to use it.

To order online, and product specs, follow the link below:
https://www.thequartermaster.co.za/index.php?route=product/search&search=ifak
Price includes Vat.
Full costs displayed BEFORE you have to pay.
Online Credit Card and EFT Payment options available.

www.thequartermaster.co.za we are still very much ONLINE, continue to deliver Nation-Wide and Internationally, Door2Door OR you can pop in and Click’nCollect

Please contact us at [email protected] if you need assistance or have a query.

MAG
#TheQM
E&OE