Throttle Cable - Adjusting Screw

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JourneyMan

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
On the DR I had to replace the fork seals. Was done in Walvis Bay. Problem was that the throttle cable's "routing" was incorrectly done. What I mean is that the cable went on the outside of the fork strut in stead of in between with the rest of the cable. This cause the throttle to open up on it's own once you do a tight right hand turn. (Just before locking) First time I nearly had a embarresing moment when doing a 180 degree from virually standstill and the throttle suddenly opening up to top revs. :shock:

This weekend I corrected the routing of the cable but also managed to break the Adjusting Screw (See 4 in diagram) where it goes into the handle unit. (Working without proper tools! :x :oops: ) Let it be a lesson to all technical noobs like me considering tinkering with their bikes. Have the proper tools!

The throttle seems to be fine anyway. I have not taken the bike on the road.

Question

Anything adversely that can happen if one rides like that until the adjusting screw is replaced?

971.png