Thumping from Kempton to De Kelders!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cable tie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 790 Adventure R Rally
Hello Dog's,

In late 2010 I decided to get a 660 Tenere for a Long trip coming up in June/July this year. Of course before embarking on such a venture one must be sure to test your equipment to see whether it will stand up to the punishment it will take.

So myself and 3 friends, two of whom will also be going on the "long trip" set of from Kempton Park towards Pietermaritzburg where the 4th member of the "long trip" lives.

DSC04654-1.jpg

Riaan,Pierre,Ian en Duan.

The plan was to meet Eddy in Memel, sleep over somewhere and continue to Pietermaritzburg the next day. That plan was short lived...

Unfortunately I don't have photo's but let me try and paint the picture. After having lunch at Deneysville we set of to Memel on the s159 gavel road.We encouraged our friend Ian into D/d riding about 6 months ago, he used his KLR for commuting but has not had much time on gravel. This being said we where going along steadily at speeds of about 80-110km/h, I was in front and decided to push a bit as it was getting late. After not seeing anything in my mirror for n while I stopped, waited...1min,5min...6min then decided to turn back. After about 6 anxious km's coming over a rise I saw Mr Clarke hands on hips standing next to his dirt hugging KLR. As to why he didn't pick it up I'm still non the wiser. He was ok and of course the KLR even after a 20m slide was ok baring a broken indicator light. It was a comedy of errors as I could not understand why Duan and Riaan arrived at the accident scene at the same time as I did. Riaan's bag fell of and they where reattaching that when Ian had his tumble. Ok, just as everything calms down my phone rings, its Eddy! His KTM 640 is giving him issues  and his not even in Harrismith yet. EISH! New plan, let meet in Harrismith.

DSC04661.jpg

After all the drama we set up camp for the night in Harris.

DSC04663.jpg

Nothing like a draught and Steak to get the spirits back up!

The next morning after a hearty Wimpy breakfast we set of for the Bezuidenhouts pass.

On the way we met these guys on their Urals, kids, moms the whole family!
DSC04668.jpg

Duan trying out the Ural seat.

From here we took a back road to get onto the Bezhuidenhouts pass, it was wet and it was here that my Tenere was dubbed the blue submarine! Tip, don't stop for a photo before crossing a deep water crossing!
DSC04680.jpg

Eddy went through first.
DSC04682.jpg

DSC04686.jpg

DSC04696.jpg

Yes I laid her down in the wet stuff and she took some water through the stage 3 DNA filter...no real issues as the Ten was ok after I drained the airbox pipe and dried the box out with a shamy.

Here is some photo's on the pass, it was awesome! Rian and Ian took some spectacular falls but made it to our very lekker lunch spot full of new tales to tell!

Here are some photo's
DSC04698.jpg

DSC04700.jpg

The way back to Pmtsb was wet and misty, and this after the KTM ran out of petrol and had to be rescued by the Tenere squad...
DSC04705.jpg

DSC04717.jpg

We got to Eddie's pad for n lekker Ti pitinto and coak! Also some maintenance!
DSC04728.jpg

DSC04724.jpg

DSC04730.jpg

Here the party split up. Duan and Ian went back to Jozi , Eddy stayed home and me and Riaan headed for De Kelders via the Transkei!
DSC04735.jpg

The next couple of days was amazing! From here we set of to Mkambati NR via Bizana.

Stay tuned....