Tiger 800XC stuff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

customrv

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph 800 XC
Hi All,

I have had my Tiger for 3 weeks now and some things are evedent.......

New bikes are not built or assembled with any precision.  :(
The plastics on the Tiger don't fit right with gaps everywhere and trim stuck down with silicon.
The cables are routed however they feel like at the time with the clutch cable being bent several times and sometimes pinched when at full right turn.
Having ridden in therain the last 3 days now, the rear tyre flings crap all over the shock, shock adjuster, chain and slider, rear brake mechanism and all over the gearbox.  The front of the motor gets blasted with sand and mud and gets in all around that oil cooler and filter such that you can't get to it to clean out.

If you have a thing for a nice quite motor.......this thing's whine will drive you insane. Between 4-5 thou rpm it is brain piercing (my opinion) if you ride with the visor open. With closed visor it is manageable.
Then I have a .... "whirrrling" sound which even feels rough, just at around 2000 rpm. Not sure where or what this is but to me from previous experience on cars, not a good sound. Something's shaft is loose in the bush or similar situation and at a certain rpm it vibrates in the bush making that noise. Have brought it to the agents attention but hard to find the source of it.
Mine had the headstock bearing a bit loose which was sorted out at the 800km check-up.

Other than that, it is just brilliant. Small things in the grand picture.
It is very easy to handle and really inspires confidence.
the motor is as smooth and predictable as everyone says. Have not exceeded the recommended rpm levels so no comment on final power. However coming from a big twin, I am left wanting  ;)

Now I ordered and paid for the bash plate and crash bars but now the ali bashplate is not available until end May!!
Does anyone have access to one that I could borrow and get it cadded to laser cut and bend?

I will be fitting the crash bars over the weekend and possibly giving them to a manufacturer first to make a set out of 3cr12 maybe.

Any other XC owners have things similar to what I have?

CRV.