To Be Seen - BMW Dakar Spotlights or Fog Lights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
The "standard" response after an accident or "near miss" involving a Car/Truck and a Motorcycle seems to be - "Geez, Sorry about that but you must believe me when I say that I REALLY DID'NT SEE THE BIKE..."

Following a recent accident involving a close friend, who eventually lost her lower leg, and the above response from the Motorist who hit her, the issue of being visible in the traffic, Day & Night is now a big thing for me.

One of the options I am looking at, is fitting Spotlights or Fog Lights which are used to make me appear more visible to other Road Users as opposed to using them as "spot" lights to see better in the dark. Ideally, it would be great to have a set of "lights" that serve both purposes..!

Another option is that I have seen a couple of "cruiser" style Bikes around which seem to have the "orange" Indicator Lights on permanently, flashing from "on" to "off", when needed as a flicker light. If it makes sense, they flash the other way around to my Dakar Indicator Lights which flash "off" to "on"... (Yikes, this sounds stupid but I hope you understand)

After chatting to fellow 650 Dakar Owners and various Mechanics, it seems like this is a huge mission and involves a lot more than just "swopping" a switch around.

I cannot seem to find it but I did see somewhere a "bracket" with Spotlights for fitting to a Dakar, using the same Indicator fitting..! Are these still available and if so, where to get them..?

What other options are there..?

Your opinions will be much appreciated. Thanks..!