TO TAILOR or NOT TO TAYLOR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEON 1190

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
On the subject of bike pants , I have gone down this road before , bought pants that was tooo long , had them made shorter and results were great , As a summer pant I am happy .
Now for winter riding this pant does not tick the box , On another post I am asking about a XKULCHA over pant ( going to view on Saturday ) .
My question is slightly of a bigger nature , I went to look at a branded pant , XXL , as a of shelf purchase not going to work as the waist is to big ( can be pulled in ) but concern is the legs length and width , position of the knees . Now I am aware calling a dedicated bike kit tailor would offer best advise . But what I am trying to find out here is , is it viable to buy a pant that is to big , and then have them made smaller ? cost wise , have you had this done and was the results worth the effort ? this is the last one on the end of line stock rail , no other options available and if there was , the same problem re leg length is still there . As we know with adventure pant that fit over the boot , there is a long zip , cutting the bottom off makes the zip shorter . bit of a disaster ( previous pant )
Now my thinking is to have it cut just above the knee , remove the amount of material that is to long pulling the knees up from the shins and stitching it all back together . Whats your take on this idea? Worth pursuing and asking the tailor if it is advisable ? or just DONT DO IT !
Things to take into consideration , is the base cost of the pant , and then the tailer work ( about R1500.00 at a thumb suck )
My thinking is that if the pant can be cut to my body size , I could end up with a nice comfortable custom fitted pant . YEH OR NEY ?