Today I used my GSA for what it was designed for.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oo7

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Yesterday we got an invite from friends in Paarl to watch the rugby with them, and when the Princess mentioned that we should use the motorhome to attend to this visit, I jumped at the opportunity, as rides with her on the back is few and far between. In fact the last one was six months' ago in January (https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=63615.0).

She did however ask that I must check the weather forecast  to make sure that coming back today will be fine weather wise. Which I of course forgot amid all the excitement.

So we were woken this morning with the beautiful sound of raindrops clattering on a tin roof. Which turned the Princess into the late Queen Mother: Ice cold with no sense of humour when I admitted that I forgot to check  the weather forecast for today.

Anyhow - I was still happy that my team won last night in Bloem, so I just told her that it is about time she toughens up and learn to pillion in the rain - none of this "you ride all the way back to Cape Town and fetch the car" shit.

We switched our Sena headsets on, as I was itching to test  them in the rain as well, loaded the BMW boxes and set off for the odd 80km ride back home, all under open heavens pouring itself out on us.

And that was when I realised that I have a possible recipe for disaster on my hands:

A loaded bike, two up, on smooth wet tar with worn TKC's as weapon of choice riding in heavy downpours with poor visibility and a moerse strong north westerly crosswind  gusting squarely across the N1 . . .(and the frieken Queen mother chirping away like a budgy overdosing on ecstacy giving me carrots for even suggesting that we take the bike - how could we be so stupid to even own such a piece of crap  - she once again took time to point out to me how dangerous this two wheeled  thing is without any safetybelts!)

That was until I had to make an unexpected quick stop at 80km/h for a car that just slammed its brakes for no reason in front of me  . . . and the ABS kicked in - and allowed me to swerve past the stationary car in an orderly and controlled fashion without the back seat Valentino Rossi even realizing what almost unfolded in front of her eyes.

Until I pulled away like a maniac out of a wrong lane at the front of a robot to ensure that we beat the cars to get in front in the correct lane - and realized a while later that the ASC probably prevented me from spinning and loosing grip with those worn knobblies

Until the gusting crosswind did not manage to intimidate me as I thought it would possibly do, the weight of the bike, loaded with two up probably being as stable as anything in that wind.

Until the GSA's drive-in-theatre of a screen served its purpose and shielded off most of the wet stuff - and as always provided a comfortable ride, especially in these conditions.

Until the extra spots provided me with comfort that I will be more visible than other bikers in the cars' rear mirrors in front of me (not that I saw any other also completely lobotomised riders out with us on the road in that conditions)

Until the front tyre pressure monitor re-assured me that the pressure is still at 2.1 bar and that the front slow puncture is still no cause for alarm.

I could go on boring non-GSA enthusiasts.

But all I want to state is that the weapon of choice this morning was the PURRFECT weapon of choice. And I struggle seeing any other bike living up to the task as my GSA did this morning, given the conditions, load etc.

What a frieken bike! It must be the world's most complete bike in the conditions mentioned here. With the world's most complete and waterproof panniers - every time I have to use them (and I am no fan of boxes) I just realize how good they are - light, easy to fit and completely waterproof to the point where they almost always suck a vacuum.

I am just all over in love with this bike!

(And I also love the Sena headset that allow you to take crystal clear abuse from her highness at 150km/h in heavy stormy, rainy windy weather . . .)