Too much information? Observation on engine temps.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riaanc

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
I have installed the Vapor dash with the temperature pickup on the head where the oil line joins at the back. I have also installed the oil cooler.

What is notable is the fluctuation of engine temperature.

It takes about a 15min or 15 km ride to get the engine temperature as indicated up to 85 degrees celcius. (All temps in celcius from now on). Ambient temp between 24 and 32 degrees.

When stationary (idling at a robot, the temp climb to 105 degrees. On prolonged idle (really crappy bumper to bumper traffic in Pretoria CBD, virtually idling at walking pace between lines of cars) the temp climbs to 118 degrees.
However, as soon as we pick up some speed, the temp drop quickly. A 1 block ride from stoplight to stoplight will see temp go from 105 to 95 degrees back to 105 when stationary.

The average temp at 60km/h is about 90 degrees. 80km/h will see the temp drop to 85 degrees. A sustained 100km/h drop temp to 78 degrees.

I find this interesting. Pity I did not have the Vapor prior to the oil cooler install to see the difference, if any. I also have the Acerbis tank installed so the deflectors at the front are also gone. From the above, I would say that the Acerbis tank is certainly effective in the deflection of the airstream.

Having some experience with liquid cooled race engines, I am astounded at the nearly 30% difference in engine operating temps in a stationary versus moving air-cooled motor. It must have an effect of the longevity of the motor, unless the motor is built from alloys that can handle the expansion/contraction mini cycles the airflow creates.

And the ambient temp gas fluctuated between 14 to 35 degrees during the period under observation. Ambient temp seems to have no effect on the bike temps. I also have the Oil temp dipstick. The highest temp I have seen on the dipstick is 215 degrees Fahrenheit.

Now the kicker.  Heat soak. Switch the engine off, get of the bike and the temp soars to 140 degrees prior to starting a slow cooldown (about 30 mins to get down to 95 degrees).

As I’ve said…too much info?