track day GSA1200, keep the racing off the public roads!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-9

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
My son and I went to Kyalami with Ryder for a “track day” with our dual purpose GSA1200’s.  Our first time on the track. 

What a lot fun.  We rode up from Durban and back, straight onto the track without changing tyre pressure or any fancy gadgets. 

I can highly recommend this; going fast on the road is easy and totally unsafe.  Going a decent speed on the twisty track, not so easy; even without worrying about what’s around the corner. 

Great fun especially with DS bikes.  Going flat out we were still over 30kph slower on the track than on the road on the way up!!  Makes you think doesn't it!!

It was very interesting watching the reactions from some of the riders, as noisy “fast expensive track bikes" were being passed silently by two big off road bikes, with trail tyres on. (The one rider got upset when i asked if i could use his tyre warmers).  There were a few 800 DS on the track.

The superbikes that had better times than us, I challenged them to rematch on the off road track, no takers.  they say

The greasy wet conditions made for some great riding. The greasy track conditions gave us opportunities to feel the bike “squirming” under harsh braking and hard acceleration. (Off road riding helped here.) My son did great; he got a decent 2:23 on the last round, I was a few seconds behind.  Not too bad for first timers on a greasy track with an air cooled GSA.  I had the GSA LC what a bike, incredible!

Too many riders are killed on the public roads, try get to a track day to go fast. What a total blast.

We should make a wild dog track day.