TSOR Invite - Charity Delivery, Sat 25 June '11 (PTA)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brendon

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Hi guys, please check out the original information supplied by TSOR (The Spirit Of Riding) below.

They have requested assistance in getting 60 bikes or more to assist with a delivery of charity items.

If you are able, please assist TSOR in this, one of their many ongoing charity events  :thumleft:

Project Undercover.

Background

In the Spirit of Riding together with Dairybelle SA and Cameraquip have taken on a project for the neo-natal ward of the Steve Biko Academic Hospital in Pretoria in association with Professor Wilma de Witt of Steve Biko Academic Hospital.

The neo-natal ward looks after babies and our particular interest is premature babies, from birth till they are strong enough to be discharged.

TSOR approached Prof. De Witt during the course of last year as we had received a whole lot of wool and asked if she had any need for knitted baby items of clothing, she accepted our offer and since them we have ladies who as part of TSOR knit booties and caps for prem babies.  Prof. de Witt enquired if we would be willing to sew Thari’s – Research has shown that the survival rate of prem babies increases if there is mother to child contact and the babies are dressed as follows, they wear a nappy, booties and a cap. They are then tied to their mother’s chest by means of the Thari – the Thari acts like a kangaroo pouch, if that makes sense.

The fabric that is used for Thari’s is Schwe Schwe which is a cotton fabric of ethnic print, we have committed to sewing 120 Thari and Cameraquip sponsored this fabric as did Prof. De Witt.

Dairybelle sponsored the fabric for 120 duvets for the incubators and cribs of the wards under Prof. De Witt’s care.

MY REQUEST

We are requesting if you would like in association with us to partake in the delivery of the 120 duvets, thari’s and a knitted set of baby booties and caps, on Saturday 25 June 2011.  We want to make this a biking delivery event – as we have found that even though we never ask people to consider bikers but because all our events are supported by bikers – a spinoff is that we have found people become aware of bikers in their daily commute – so bearing this in mind we request that if you want to join in - you need to bring cargo net / tie down to tie the prepacked duvet, thari and knitted set to your bike.  I will however ask whoever loses a set to contribute R150.00 to us as we need to then re-sew the entire set, sorry Paul this stupid rule is because on other events we have found people do not tie down the duvets properly and when they lose it – we cannot stop the pack to try and retrieve the lost item.

I have arranged with the hospital to have the parking area in front of the main entrance reserved that day for bikes – there is however a logistical issue so I need to inform the hospital how many bikes they can expect by the very latest Monday 20 June 2011. As security must be arranged to let us in and clear the parking area.

All the sets will be taken to Mugg & Bean Woodmead and that will also be the starting point for the event – our departure time will be 9am with the ETA at Steve Biko 10H00 to 10H15.  I would need to have numbers of anyone interested in attending as I need to liaise with Dean from Mugg & Bean for seating.

I very much doubt that we will be allowed to go to the ward en-masse but Prof. De Witt will receive the sets in the parking area and I will ask her to tell everyone abit about the work they do.

Please feel free to invite any bike club you consider would be interested in this event, they can wear their patches etc – as TSOR is completely neutral on this issue. They can contact me directly if they have any queries either by mail [email protected] or 011 792-1210 or 082 041-7462