TTR 250 Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broncoza

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Beta (all models)
So over the years I have ridden most of the dirt highways in Lesotho;  and it appears the Chinese are dead keen on increasing these even more.  Wanted a smaller bike to start exploring the less ridden routes;  mostly solo so it must be light and reliable!

Enter the TTR250......

Just returned from 600kms in a day an a half on a TTR250, Ladysmith/Draycott/Lower Loteni/Himeville/Up Sani/Back down and to Ladysmith here are some observations:
1. Used to own a Suzuki SJ410 and the TTR reminds me of it - slow to get to the play area but once you are there unstoppable! Total distance just on 600 klics at an average speed on the GPS of 71km/h
2. Range is a bit shy;  170 to 190 kms before empty;  this is going to be a problem for any long hauls but can be rectified with a bladder
3. Cruising speed on Tar 110km/h on the speedo - 101km/h on the GPS at around half throttle except for climbs where the little one comes down to 80 and maybe a gear change required.
4. But the nice thing is that you can cruise at almost the same speed on almost any dirt road; even heavily rutted and metaled; just keep a good eye out for lurkers!
5. Suspension is great;  almost an old school dirt bike! Soaks up most bumps without bottoming and tackled Sani with gusto;  TTR handled it fine.
6. Wasn't sure of the tyre choice but Michelin Sirac seemed to work ok;  with the exception of mud naturally and loss of traction from time to time on the pass.  D606's are on order!
7. Height of seat an issue for a short s#$% like me;  created great laughter from the rest of the group trying to scale mount TTR,  but can get used to it - or get a lowering link if really necessary.

All in all a great little bike to ride;  motor is really sweet and purrs like a kitten.  Surprising grunt for a 250 air cooled and fuel economy reasonable.  Stock pipe is quiet and I like it that way;  surrounding country side not disturbed! Seat comfortable, foot pegs good and reach to bars even though I am a short bloke fine.

What broke - well nothing its a Yamaha!  Ok so the dip beam globe packed up sorted free of charge by May's Yamaha in Himeville after hours on a Saturday - thanks guys!

Attachments

• Bike.jpg
    Bike.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 238