TTR-250: Swaziland Border & Verkykerskop.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAT250

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-250 Rally
So how do I start one of these again, have not done a long ride for quite some time. No one else to blame but myself for not maintaining that strange concept some refer to as a “Work-Life Balance”.

As an average rider I’ve got no obsession for dirt only or searching for serious technical riding, but one never knows what an unexplored road will bring to you. An innocent small tar road on a map that you find in reality heading off into the hills as you turn off some main road that soon become a dirt road and by the time you feel compelled by the scenery to stop for the second or third photo you are on a remote pass in the mountains sometimes sweating and testing your riding skills to new limits. In that I find the pleasure and adventure of duel-sport riding.

Packing as usual is a mission and I’ve been putting it off till the last moment but at last around 00:45 everything is packed and stacked in front of the bookcase as I sit there wide awake eyeing the somewhat large heap and wondering what I’ve forgotten or should have found space for. Time flies however when you do eventually fall asleep only to almost instantaneously hear the alarm clock do it’s thing.

000_1036.jpg

Packing the bike is without problems and just after 08:00 I’m out the gate. On the Delmas road and near Babsfontein many bikes pass the loaded TTR-250 on their way to the usual Sunday morning breakfast spots. I’m smiling inwardly as I will not be turning for home today, for the next few days the road and my tent will be my home.

Breakfast and the first of many fuel stops are in Bethal and from there I head through Hendrina to Carolina. Boring kilometers with mielie (maize) fields in every direction and in places as far as the eye can see but the road is not busy and not on the always busy N4 highway. Shortly after Carolina the mountains and scenery start at last as I go over the edge of the escarp descending to Badplaas where I will be camping tonight. Apart from stops where the road is closed off in a single lane for road works the road is in good condition and it is not long before I’m at the resort’s gate where there is a huge sign with “No Motorcycles Allowed”. The friendly guard however directs me to reception without a fuss where I’m signed in also without any questions.

06052012432.jpg

000_1037.jpg

And so it is that an hour later and with expectations of a beautiful sunset I’m about to enjoy coffee and rusks with the tent and bike for company.

(Total Distance for the day - 323km)

Day 2
Today and after looking at the map should not be a long day. On a previous trip we discovered the abandoned Diepgezette Village on the Swaziland border but it was late in the day and we did not have time to really look around so it was placed on the “must visit again with more time” list.

After filling the bike up I’m on my way to the Oshoek border post between South Africa and Swaziland where I hope to find the dirt road heading down into the valley. Badplaas is at 1058m ASL and it was somewhat cool when I left, now after only 40km and back high on the escarp at 1600m ASL however it is cold and the wind is blowing. Not sure about where I’ll get fuel again and with the cold I’m more than happy to stop in Lochiel and fill the bike up to the brim.

000_1042.jpg

000_1043.jpg

What you see on a map and find in reality is often not the same so I miss the first turnoff but about 5km before the border post I’m at last on the dirt road and descending down into the valley and a much more agreeable temperature at around 800m ASL.

000_1045.jpg

The road is steep in places with a lot of loose gravel sometimes covered with powdery stuff and to keep your attention just when you think you have figured it all out, there are gullies from rainwater erosion first running with the road and then suddenly diagonally across with no way of escaping it. Once down on the valley floor however the road is good and I realize how soaked with sweat I am as I open up the TTR and enjoy riding the bike at a faster but relaxed speed.

000_1047.jpg

000_1048.jpg

All too soon it seems I’m at the control boom before Diepgezette Village where I’m let through without questions and start exploring around the abandoned village.

000_1049.jpg

000_1050.jpg

Apart from the long grass slowly but surely reclaiming some parts of the village it is generally still in good condition although a little eerie walking around the place by yourself expecting to bump into someone at any moment. It is almost as if everyone disappeared into thin air overnight and it is not long before I start to wonder about aliens and abductions ....

000_1051.jpg

The shortcut past the school on the left down to the recreational facilities in the distance.

000_1052.jpg

000_1055.jpg

Finding parking is no problem,.... perhaps I’m just early.  This ghost town was once the village for people working at the Diepgezette Asbestos Mine and is still maintained by the mining company.

000_1054.jpg

Down the slope from the building above there is this Ferris wheel and to the left out of the picture an empty swimming pool.

000_1053.jpg

The village is near the end of the valley and as I exit through the boomed gate at the northern end of the village I almost immediately start the climb to back high up in the mountains. The road after Diepgezette is also in good condition with amazing views so I can’t help but stop and take some more photos.

000_1056.jpg

000_1058.jpg

000_1060.jpg

000_1059.jpg

After about 14km of great off-road riding and spectacular views I turn left onto the R40 to Baberton. This tar road is high in the mountains and the air is cold again, but with most of the 35km to Baberton in good condition it is a pleasure to ride the many twists and turns almost by myself. By the time I’m in Baberton I’ve passed one pedestrian, enjoyed fruit juice and a sandwich given to me by a couple touring through the country in a 4x4 at a lookout point and passed no more than three or four cars.

The longest cableway outside of Europe and apparently the only one crossing an international border can be seen along this road. Built in 1938 the aerial cableway links the now disused Havelock asbestos mine in Swaziland with Barberton. The 20,36km long cableway is supported by 52 pylons as it crosses the Makhonjwa Mountains with the longest unsupported span being 1207m and the highest point above the ground being 189m.

000_1061.jpg

000_1062.jpg

000_1064.jpg

From Baberton I head back to Badplaas on the R38 where I’ve left the tent, only 72km but seriously questioning why I did not take the time to re-fuel in Baberton. On the outskirts of Badplaas I’m smiling with relief as I’ve done more than 200km and is still not on reserve since filling up in Lochiel  .... normally the TTR will only go to 175-180km before telling me it is time to switch to reserve. I guess happiness is a full tank of petrol and celebrate it with a few beers while looking through the day’s photos !

(Total distance for the day 251km.)