Tubeless tyres on spoked rims

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zambezi

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph (all models)
???Maybe I should post this under the Triumph Tiger Section but here goes.
When I got my 800XC with OEM Scorpion Trials I noticed that the tyres were marked “for use with tubeless rims”. The Tiger comes with Excel rims which are obviously not tubeless. I phoned Traditional and I got umm and aah for an answer – not knocking Traditional they are awesome.
Anyway, I fitted Karoo 3’s and went off to the Vegkop Grasren yesterday. Very nice event, pity there were only about four or five other adventures taking part.
Took a leaf out of Deon Meyer and Adriaan Oosthuizen’s “Dirt Busters” and deflated the rear to 1.6 Bar. Bike, tyres (AND RIDER) performed awesomely through rocks, mud, sand and fast gravel.
Op een van hierdie lekker grondpaaie, gelukkig net voor n checkpoint, gooi ek toe bietjie kole om die bl#$&mse quads terug te roost. By die checkpoint aangekom toe hoor ek sommer hoe die agterwiel blaas – gorreltjie heeltemal van die tube afgeskeur. Natuurlik het ek nie n spaar tube gehad nie en die arme Tiger moes toe maar agter op n bakkie (nogal n bliksemse Toyota) terug pits toe. Daar moes ek maar stilbly en die chirps van “die toppie het moeg geword en toe blaas hy sy tyre af” gelate aanvaar.
By nadere inspeksie sien ek toe dieselfde “for use with tubeless rims” op die Karoo!
Nou wat nou – kan die slim manne verduidelik wat presies is die verskil tussen bande vir tubeless en non-tubeless?
I am considering fitting one or two rim locks on the rear at least. Obviously the Excels do not come with extra holes to do this and will have to be drilled – something I wouldn’t really like to do.
Anybody had similar problems and what was the solution please!