TW 200 sprockets and chain change

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kykdaar

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Zundapp (all models)
The TW200 standard chain is well known as being rubbish and that it stretches to easily.

When I got the TW, it was with a warning that the chain was shot, so a replacement was needed.

Whilst fooling around with the bike riding without a helmet I could clearly hear the slack chain slipping over the front sprocket teeth, even though the sprockets still looked goods. It seems to me that the TW does not like an overly-slack chain.

Bought a new EK O-ring chain (428) and also decided to simultaneously change the standard sprocket ratio from 14T-47T to 15T-47T to make the bike slightly less buzzy. Bought two JT sprockets for this purpose.

Now for the (inevitable) schoolfees -

1. with the cover off I replaced the two philips screws holding the outer-bearing plate with better quality allen key bolts only to have to remove it again later and re-fit the originals. Their heads catch on the passing chain.

2. The bolts holding the sprocket is a real bitch to remove and a number was bent, thus requiring replacement. Here you must be careful to get high tensile replacement bolts with a suitable non-threaded length to pass through the sprocket and hub, but not being so long that it cannot be tightened. Got 30mm bolts with a 13mm non-threaded length and then I still needed a washer on the rear.

3. The third mistake was to fit the rear sprocket with the recessed end towards the hub. This results in the chain being slightly out of alignment, so I had to flip it around. Only problem now is that the outer edges of the folding tabs makes contact with the edge of the recess, but the quickly folded over when torqued down thus actually further aiding in ensuring that the bolts cannot turn on their own. I also used nylock nuts to make sure nothing comes loose.

4. When I had the casing cover off I could see where the chain had made some slight marks on the inside bottom from being too loose. This confirmed my feeling that the TW does not like a too-loose chain. The interwebs, as usual, has arguments ranging on both sides so I did my own thing and made it reasonably tigh (approx 3cm flex in the middle without sitting on the bike).

As the bearings (inner and outer), as well as seals were still in perfect condition I decided to leave it as is although I had beforehand obtrained the required replacement parts. Just fitted a new gasket (slightly oiled to make later removal easier).

Happy to report that the chain pulls nice and strong without any slippage or clanking. Also very happy with the sprocket ratio. First gear is no longer as short and the bike pulls nicely in the other gears. Also set the clutch to properly disengage (could not start it in gear with the clutch pulled in without it running in the gear).

So, whilst the Dakkie is standing in the garage still licking its wounds, the pluckly little TW goes like da bomb.

Looking forward to further pimping this bike  ;D