two noobs doing it in Limpopo 5-7/09/09

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tankgirl

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW G650 X-challenge
I’m only going to share a few photo’s of the weekend, the story is long and boring about how / why we decided to do the trip and there wasn’t much planning happening to get us going. It was, after all, just a weekend away…

SilverSurfer pitched the Friday evening though, with his new panniers and tail bag and kit bag and sleeping bag and rain coat and cooler bag :D …so we re-packed everything but he insisted on taking the panniers wanting to try them out on the open road. In each one he carried a 5L jerry can of Vpower, practicing for our journey to Mozambique in January ;Þ anyway, I just had my tank bag and offered to carry the little cooler bag, and copied some new songs onto my phone.

SATURDAY – 05/09
Loaded up the bikes and left the house at 5:10AM
First stop was about 15 minutes later for the big bright moon over Lavender Rd
DSCF6977.jpg

Next stop: Sunrise @ 6:15AM headed towards Bela Bela on the tollgate-free R101
DSCF6988.jpg

DSCF7000.jpg

DSCF7012.jpg

DSCF7014.jpg

BelaBela Breakfast
DSCF7015.jpg

Some pics we took as we stopped for chill pills along the way
DSCF7029.jpg

DSCF7034.jpg

Potgietersrus (i forget the new name now)
DSCF7052.jpg

just before Polokwane we stopped for a longer while and done a bit of a phodoshoot
DSCF7054.jpg

DSCF7063.jpg

DSCF7070.jpg

DSCF7081.jpg

DSCF7087.jpg

OUR FIRST DIRT! From Bandalierkop the first turn off towards Elim has the coolest speedbumps evAr!
DSCF7089.jpg

DSCF7093.jpg

Destination Beaufort (Levubu) where cold beer and fat steaks await us
DSCF7107.jpg

SUNDAY – 06/09
First attraction for the day, we visited the bridge that caved in just over a year ago, causing all the traffic from Venda to mission through Levubu (which is where my mom grew up and her brother and eldest sister still stay)
DSCF7138.jpg

DSCF7139.jpg

DSCF7143.jpg

DSCF7144.jpg

From there we ventured on to the plantations across the road from where my uncle used to farm avo’s. The entrance (about 400m from the bridge) is actually closed off with a tree trunk blocking the way, but we wiggled our way in and just followed the road, hoping we’d get to the top eventually…
DSCF7149.jpg

DSCF7157.jpg

We did get to the top but there’s not much of a view coz you’re in the middle of all the tall trees!
DSCF7161.jpg

DSCF7162.jpg

DSCF7165.jpg

DSCF7169.jpg

DSCF7174.jpg

At one point the path dead-ended and we had to turn back. The bed of pine needles was as thick as a mattress, it’s a miracle I didn’t dôner over, I performed a kind of split that was quite impressive, that shit’s flippin’ slippery!

So we carried on with the winding roads, hoping they’ll eventually lead us back out… the main road surfaces were very good, only the smaller ones were strewn with pine cones & those needles. Oh, and cow dung.

woodland creatures' ATTGATT seems pretty universal...
DSCF7178.jpg

Some heavy duty machinery
DSCF7183.jpg

DSCF7187.jpg

DSCF7189.jpg

DSCF7192.jpg

DSCF7199.jpg

We had wandered into another part of the woods – very varied terrain, big loose rocks, patches of powdery sand, solid rock, thick gravel. “Die Kliphuis” said the signboards, we didn’t enter the gate, didn’t look like they had a swimming pool or a bar, so, ja… On we went but had to turn back again, dead end.
DSCF7211.jpg

DSCF7215.jpg

DSCF7218.jpg

Got really hot after a while so we parked off for a bit, unpacked the tripod and then heard baboons barking, then spotted the baboons and eventually decided we’d better be getting going…
I don’t really know how to entertain hungry baboons on a hot Sunday afternoon?
DSCF7225.jpg

(digital zoom FAIL)

How are you sposed to pose when the timer’s set?
DSCF7230.jpg

DSCF7233.jpg

Some scenery along the way, quite a bit of cattle, not something I’m used to seeing around these parts here
DSCF7237.jpg

DSCF7245.jpg

Silversurfer’s gangsta style = kneeguards + shorts + winter jacket
DSCF7247.jpg

A nice spot with a view of the Levubu valley
DSCF7255.jpg

DSCF7256.jpg

Since it was getting late we started to get worried about finding a way out, but just a while down this road a friendly chap let us out the gate which turned out to be Entabeni gate, right down the street from my aunt’s house!
DSCF7263.jpg

DSCF7265.jpg

Levhuvhu river - much littering going on there unfortunately
DSCF7270.jpg

DSCF7272.jpg

The moon a little later that evening
DSCF7289.jpg

MONDAY – 07/09
On Monday morning we just had to squeeze another ride in quick so my uncle pointed us in a few directions and we had enormous fun, small mud pool we had to go through and back again, gravel highway through the location and mostly we didn’t know where we were but just savoured every moment
DSCF7291.jpg

Just some pics from along the way
DSCF7299.jpg

DSCF7300.jpg

DSCF7309.jpg

The mud was just enough to get yer pants wet and yer boots brown
DSCF7314.jpg

On the road again, took the Mooketsi then Giyani roads back towards Polokwane, dodging all the N1 toll gates, a nice little detour I must say
DSCF7315.jpg

DSCF7320.jpg

DSCF7332.jpg

DSCF7333.jpg

Had a 3PM Steers Cheese burger and Chips at the Shell just after Pburg

A few more stops along the way, we realised we’d better hurry if we wanted to make it home before dark. Which we didn’t anyway.
DSCF7343.jpg

There were three block offs for road works on the R101 on Monday. Thing is the blocked off bits aren’t getting any work done on?!! What a waste.
DSCF7344.jpg

Last stop before Bela Bela
DSCF7346.jpg

And the sun sets on a lovely weekend between Bela Bela and Carousel. 
DSCF7351.jpg

Filled up at Carousel for the last time made it home just after 7PM last night
Nothing says welcome back home like the last 100km’s in the dark with Monday night Hammanskraal traffic!

All in all we travelled just over 1000km for the 3 days

Thanks Charl for coming along and letting me use your camera all weekend :thumleft:

dankiebaai!