Two years later...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madala

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Today, 2 years ago,my life went pear shaped. What started off as another great week-end, changed in a blink!
Karin and myself together with her daughter and a few friends  went to Kokoriba near Beestekraal. The idea was to spend a couple of days chilling before school started again. Karin could sleep late, the kids swim and I planned on doing early morning exploration of the area on the bike.
We had a braai, enjoyed some Klippies and went to bed.

Next morning I had coffee and took the  road. The idea was to work my way towards Kroondal and then follow the R104, have breakfast at Buffelspoort and then return to Kokoriba via Brits. The road was quiet, early morning fog in patches and  the air crisp, what a pleasure. I used my GPS to navigate towards Kroondal and left the road at Leloreng a small settlement. At first I followed a gravel road that turned into a  2spoor padjie, then a cattle track and then...

At times I had to get off the bike to find my way around dongas but I made steady progress towards Kroondal, set as a waypoint. After about 5 km of no track I came across a drill. The operators told me they were drilling for gold, platinum and manganese. They also pointed out the direction to follow. The last challenge was coming down a hill on their service road with LOTS of LOOSE rocks, but I stayed on top. Soon I was back on the  road. I stopped, had a smoke and revelled in the joy of adventure biking. THIS IS LIFE!!!

I remember passing Rustenburg platinum mine. From there it is 5 km to  the R104 where I turned towards Brits. Up to today, this is the last that I can remember.

I have vague memories going back to June 2011, being in Unitas hospital. Most of these memories are disjointed. I was discharged from hospital in June, and Karin looked after me from there on. I went back for 2 further ops after the metal straps inserted to join my pelvis went septic. I still went to Pretoria on a weekly basis to have the wound looked after. At the end of December the vacuum pump was removed and medically I have healed.

I never experienced ANY pain, probably because of the drugs supplied.However, by December I questioned the medication I was on. I googled and found it to be anti-psychotic stuff! I was furious.
I went to my local GP, whom I know for 30 years, and he refered me to a psychologist who assisted me in the weaning process. Psychologically I battled. Since January 2012 I've been back at school. I still had difficulty in keeping my focus. I was forgetful. I was incredibly unfit. The psycological healing was even more difficult than than the physical healing.

However, all of this is now in the past. God has been with me. I have recovered in full.
Thanks to all the Dogs for your messages, and prayers. I only saw that much later. Thanks for your visits.(i'm told) A huge thank you to Karin my partner. She has put up with so much. All the medical staff in Rustenburg, Centurion and Kempton Park, My medical aid (R800 000.00),
The Gauteng Department of Education and my staff at school(who else would keep your job for so long? My dear daughter for your support. And Rob and Callie my riding partners, your support at the time was great. By the way, the trusty 1150 gs was replaced with a 1200gs and we have bonded well. :ricky:

Attachments

• IMG_0272.JPG
    IMG_0272.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 1,169
  • IMG_0274.JPG
    IMG_0274.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 1,171