Tyre - comparing dual purpose tyres with knobbies tyres

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which tyres do you prefer?

• Knobblies

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dual purpose

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FortyZA

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
4 BMW's(2 1150 Adv and 2 GS1200's) took the 2nd canal route to the rock. I was the only one with dual purpose tyres and got to thinking? I remember a thread on another forum that JM, Funi and the guys said about tyres and tyre choice.

I decided to ride to the best of my abilities, however, the clay and mud had it's mind made up for me and about 40km down the track, I bought a piece of ground. The dual purpose tyres, slipped and slid and washed out from under me doing less than 20km/h. After picking the bike up, I continued and the mud / clay got even worse. The other bikes, all shod with Conti TKC's had almost no problem and handled the mud well. What we did find is that the clay packs up if you travel too slow through the mud and that causes the sliding. If you pick up speed between the clay patches, the mud is flug out and assists with better grip in the mud.

What happened again was the front washed away and anotherplot bought. After that it was feet down most of the mud /clay and once we got to the dust highways, I was fine until we went up the rock. Rode into the only crater on the rock, lost my balance and put the bike down standing still. We drank some cooldrink and rode down the rock. Travelling back allong the road, you take the corner and encounter a very large pool of water. No way round so what the hell, ride throgh it only to find a big hole inside the pool, rear tyre spins, bike stops and lose my footing, however manage to hold the bike up and kill the engine.

Thereafter no more insidents as we took the dirt highways and tar home.

I have decide that what the boys said about puting a knobblie on the front and a Dual purpose tyre on the rear is like putting a condon on your nuts hoping that you are protected. I would rather replace knobblies every 5000km than scrath my bike, bruise my ego and be the joke of my riding mates.

Moral of the story: Once you have ridden with knobblies and go back to dual tyres, don't attempt mud without telling your self you will fall. I have completed the red route on last years BMW GS Challenge and I must tell you that I think that was awalk in the park compared to the ride long the canal, through the mud/clay large vehicle tracks with standing water.

Cannot wait to fit the knobs again and give it another bash.

Comments welcome, sorry no camera taken with so no pic's. Next time.