UPDATED: Advice wanted. Keep my Funduro or buy a bargain TransAlp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
OK, as many of you know I have a 96 Funduro for almost a year now. This is my first bike on which I learnt to ride. The plan was always to keep it for about 2-3 years before doing a serious upgrade when the time and money is right. The bike has 65000km on it and is running well and I really am enjoying it :thumleft: Since I bought it I have added a Kappa screen, wider foot pegs, ProTaper bars and grips, Zeta hand guards and folding mirrors. Only thing missing is a Scorch pipe... 

I have, however, been offered a 2006 TransAlp at a really good price. Lets just say depending on how much I could sell the Funduro for, it would cost me 10-15k for the TA -  Silver Honda Transalp, 2006, 43000km, Touratech crash bars, wide off road pegs, Cowley triagle pipe (no middle box) nicely fitted, recent major service, new Maxxis 6006 tires. Unfortunately the bike is in Joberg, so I cant ride it before buying. Any WD in the area with fair mechanical knowledge that could check it out  ???

So a little about my riding: I use my bike to commute bout 70km (though not every day as I also have a cage) but this makes up the majority of the mileage. Then I also enjoy outrides with the WD's, but I am normally found near the back of the pack... I am not the type who goes and messes around in the quarry etc... Also since I got my license my wife really enjoys riding with me, so far mainly tar, but I am sure we will do some gravel together. Also maintenance costs and consumption are kinda important. 

So what do I do? Your opinions are welcome...