Urgent Assistance for world record (Welkom Phakisa)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 5710

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Very short notice but below is the world record being attempted by Bushie on a 1200GS. Everything was going according to plan however the surface of the "oval" appears to be hell of an abrasive and strangely enough has been through 2 rear tyres and only done 1000 odd kms. Anyway the question is is there anybody out there in the area than can assist in either swopping over there 1200GS tyres or who can assist with the fitment of new tyres to his bike like in the next couple hours?? The record is to complete 3250km within 24hrs. Currently he has until 8 oclock tomorrow morning to do another 1500 odd km

This is a very unusual request but if anybody in the area can help please can you contact Leighanne or Bushie on 0834195414

Details below

Cheers

Dear Rodger,

I am a bilateral below the knee amputee.  This actually happened in two stages.

The first was in August 1999 while traveling home from work I was involved in a hit and run accident with a taxi.  I managed to steady the motorbike and bring it to a stop.  Fortunately, for me the driver behind me saw what happened and phoned the medical services for me.  I woke up the next morning with no left leg. This accident left me now a disabled person. Although it was an adjustment coping with the loss of the limb, I got back in the seat and continued ridding and racing motorcycles.

Then in December 2008, history cruelly repeated itself.  While on our way to a Carols by Candlelight function, a drunk driver collided with the right side of my motorcycle. I managed to bring it under control in about 150m from the impact zone.  When I got off my motorcycle I looked down and my first thought was “ not again”.  This accident not only claimed my right leg but also the life of a close friend.

I now found myself as a double below the knee amputee and I had to learn to cope with that.  I gained insight into the daily struggle a wheelchair bound person faced.  After coming to terms with my own daily struggles, I decided to join some disability societies.  Here I met people that were achieving incredible things with limited recourses.
This is when I realized that I could make a difference.  I started a mission on disability awareness out there. This campaign is to assist disability societies like Buddy Care, not only to raise funds but also to get the names and purpose of the organization out into South Africa and worldwide.

Doing this ride to break the world record with Buddy Care’s motivation will not only be an achievement for me personally but also for every other disabled persons out there.  I hope to launch the NPO Buddy Care world wide with the knowledge of what it stands for.

With BMW”s help I am able to achieve this.  I really appreciate the help that I receive from you.  So often the physically challenged gets forgotten in the rider world and yet we are able to continue with the passion we have for ridding, the feeling of freedom when you are on the bike is wonderful.  The GS1200 that you have supplied me with is a dream to ride. 

Lest go above and beyond,

Regards,

Bushy Mckelvey
Tel: 0834195414
        033-3869935
E-mail: [email protected].