Using bike for work- what rate to charge...?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plaasjaap

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 250
I was so surprised at my boss's positive reaction when I suggested I use my KLR for some of my ECO (Environmental Control Officer-ja die groenpolisieman...) work on site (installation of pipeline here on the highveld). But of course his main reason was because he saw an oppertunity for the project to save money..i.e. thus pay less per km for work that I do with bike compared to with my vehicle. ::)
Currently getting R2.75/km for vehicle-using my lekker '99 Prado 3.0d. Would like to save on kms I put on it though, but doing plenty of kms per month is nice cash (well kind-off if you forget about the indirect costs...)

In any case- what would be a good rate to ask for on the KLR...It's about 50c/km cheaper on fuel, but I would say other expenses are not much lower than on the prado - mostly more often. I think my boss has R1.50/km in mind... would that be a rip-off? I am thinking something closer to R2.00/km. What would u guys reckon?