Valve stem tyre pressure monitors opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteb

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Zundapp (all models)
I've always had umpteen dirt bikes in the garage, but not any 'on road' for many years. I recently got myself a 950 adv, mainly for taking my vrou on the occasional jaunt, but also to do some longer off road stuff. One of the things I'm considering is doing a tubeless (DIY) job to the rear wheel.
Now I'm not too concerned about dondering off whilst I am by myself, but very worried if it should happen with my wife onboard. I'm considering and aftermarket tyre pressure monitoring system, the type that you screw onto the valve stem and it has a bluetooth link to a small unit on the dash. I would like to have opinions from chaps who have used them/don't use them/have used them but won't use them in the future. What are the drawbacks? I can see a couple which concern me:
Relying on the little sensor to do the sealing of the valve
The hassle of unscrewing the sensor (with its locknut) every time you want to adjust pressure
The longevity of the system (particularly using it offroad with vibration/dust/mud/whatever)
Opinions please, good and bad. And maybe recommendations on what manufacturers to use or steer clear of.
Thanks, Pete