VOLCANO RUN. (7 DAYS HARD CORE) DEPART FOURWAYS FRIDAY 09 SEPTEMBER 2011

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JIMBO

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR350
I have devised this ride for my own benefit, but WDs and / or their friends are welcome to join.  I have travelled most of the proposed route before, but not all.  It should be treated as a semi-recce run.  I believe the ride can be completed in 6 days, but I am allowing 7 days.  It starts and ends on a Thursday, (close to weekend) so I hope a time overrun will not be so critical.  There are no planned stop overs, although having said that, I do know some friendly farmers along the way.  The main criteria will be fuel, water and night time warmth (Only 6 nights). 

The route will be as follows:
1. Tar road Fourways to Mafikeng.  Maybe can trailer to or meet there. 
2. Ride to Ramatlabama border gate and join border fence.
3. Ride the border fence to near Bray.  Day 1.
4. Ride gravel and farm roads to Van Zyls rus.
5. Ride Molopo riverbed to near Namibia border.  Day 2. 
6. Ride Namibian roads to somewhere near Tses.  Day 3.
7. Ride to Mount Brukarros, the extinct Volcano.  Day 4. 
8. Ride to somewhere near Keetmanshoop.  Day 5. 
9. Ride Molopo riverbed via Van Zylsrus to somewhere near Bray.  Day 6. 
10. Ride to Mafikeng via border fence, and then to Fourways (Or where ever you call home). 

The out-run from Mafikeng to the Volcano is 1 282 km. 
The home-run from the Volcano to Mafikeng is 1 328 km.
It is 300 km each way Fourways to Mafeking. 
Allow 200 km for diversions. 
That gives a total distance of 3 409 km.  Let us call it 3 500 km. 
The route will include fence lines, riverbeds, straight Kalahari sand, farm roads, gravel roads and of course the beautiful Namibian gravel roads.  Apart from the road from Fourways to Ramatlabama there will only be an additional 40 km of tar road. 

The longest distance between fuel stops is the 350 km from Bray to Van Zyls rus which is pretty fast. 

Cost by my recconing: 
3 500 km @ 18 km per liter = 195 liters @ R.10, 20 / l  = R.1 989, 00.
Wear and tear at usually twice the fuel                        = R.1 989, 00. 
Creature Comforts at R.200, 00 / day                          = R.1 400, 00.
Namibian road tax                                                        = R.    140, 00

Total cost would be in the order of R.5 500, 00 (Slightly exaggerated).  You should have that much in your pocket. 

The route schedule consists of way points and distances scaled off Google Earth, which I guess I can scan off to any really interested persons. 

I will be out of the country from 18/06/11 to 15/08/11, but contactable by means of email and forum. 

This is intended to be a motorbike ride, rather than a sight seeing expedition. 

I could set up a briefing in Fourways in late Aug / early Sept if any one feels the need.

I hope to see some riders in September.

Cheers.