Want to make my 650R pretty

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2wdrift

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure S
So I was gatvol of riding after exploring nearly all the dirt roads in a 50km radius around my house, I just had no interest in riding anymore so I advertised my bike on here. Fast forward more than a year and I had someone interested in buying it, so I tried starting it and after three near death experiences from kicking this bitch repeatedly I decided to clean the carb and adjust the valves. The valve adjustment is easy to do but while cleaning the carb I got carb cleaner in my right eye (while my eye was clear of varnished petrol it was quite unpleasant, 2/10 would not recommend), I reassembled everything and once again kicked till I couldnt walk anymore. Took the bike to runner as my right eye was swolen and painful and he sorted it out. The potential buyer went quiet and I started riding the bike a bit here and there while my car was in for repairs. I was invited to go for a ride with a mate of mine and pretty soon I was trying to break my wheelie record and actually having a blast again. This snowballed into a few rides and I was back up to my normal pace on dirt pretty quickly, not that I am a good rider by any means, and I was really getting into riding and pushing myself to get better.

Long story short I rekindled the love I once had for riding and for my XR with its bitchy attitude to starting and all. So I decided I want to make it more useable, this includes new lights and a front fork valve body modification. I have an upgraded stator in the bike and plan on using LED lightbars and spotlights to build my own setup with a small perspex screen for the hell of it. The forks habe a valve body that has an oil port measuring 1.6 or 1.9mm, this means I have soft suspension when I have no need for suspension and a solid fork when I do need suspension, on corrugations it feels like I am going to shake my arm muscles loose from the bone. So I want to do something about that as cheaply as possible, XR owners have been drilling the valve body themselves with decent results for years now so I want to try that. I then walked outside and had a look at the rest of the bike and the engine is looking a bit sad with its layer of grey corrosion. I am thinking of using mag wheel cleaner and then scotch brite on the engine to get it looking a little less shitty, any advice or suggestions? It will be done by me on the cheap.

The XR's front brake is about as useless as the average ANC member so I want to upgrade it, I was thinking of using a CRF brake system with a larger brake rotor. Any advice on this?

I am considering getting a hotcams stage 2 cam, I have done all the other power mods apart from aftermarket exhaust and I want a bit more from the bike. Any experience with this cam? And any suggestion on a good exhaust to use? I dont mind losing a bit of bottom end, it will idle up a cliff while towing a landrover as it currently is so I dont mind losing a bit of that if I gain a substantial increase in the mid and top of the rev range.

I got the urge to do the work to the bike the night before the lockdown started so it will be a while before I start on any of it anyway.