Watch out for dangerous biker

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrendaButtercup

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
Commuting home this evening I was almost taken out from behind while lane splitting on the M3 at Wynberg hill around 18:30 today.  A KTM990 Adv, reg CA 490088 passed me at high speed in the same middle lane.  If you know him, perhaps give him some guidance before he kills somebody.

I was riding up Wynberg hill towards Muizenberg.  Traffic had both lanes full and I was riding up the middle.  At the top I noticed a small car in the right lane indicating to change lanes to the left.

Knowing that if the car saw me it would hesitate or panic and cause more obstruction, I tapped off and moved slightly right out of sight behind a Landrover, where the road curves right.  I was still in the centre-lane between the lanes of cars, just over to the right side of it.

At that moment I got the fright of my life - a loud KTM 990 Adventure roared past me on the left, just centimeters away, at high speed.  What scared me most was that I could easily have decided to continue lane-splitting and swerved the 10cm into his path right then.

The KTM nearly collided with the small car, which was now straddling both lanes.  He passed the car on the right and gave the car a sign with his hand that I am struggling to interpret as an apology.  The car had been indicating its intention to change lanes for 15 seconds or more, so I am not sure what else the driver could have done.

I decided to catch up to the rider to get his registration number - and eventually caught up after Ladies Mile.  It is CA 490088.  He turned right into Steenberg Drive towards Ou Kaapse Weg.

But all of that aside - what galls me most about this rider's behaviour is not that he threw away the name of bikers on the M3, or that he nearly killed me, but that he didn't even wave to a fellow adventure biker.  C**t.