WC - Atlantis dunes - Saturday 13 October 2012

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug C

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
The dunes at Atlantis provide an expansive and varied playground for sand riders. Of particular value, the area provides sections that are sufficiently mild for those relatively new to sand riding and sections that are adequately challenging for the experienced sand rider.

Although still very much a novice at sand riding, I have opened this thread with the hope that there might be enough interest in an outing to the Atlantis dunes to bring together both skilled and not-so-skilled sand riders, with the former providing example, insight and support and the latter being given the opportunity to enjoy a new experience.

Permits are required to access the dunes and I ask that all who take part in the occasion will honour this regulation. Single-entry permits for motorcycles cost R70.00. Those who trailer their bikes to the venue can leave their vehicle and trailer in the parking area provided at the entrance. Single-entry permits for 4x4 vehicles that are taken into the dunes cost R120.00.

I will organise the permits, but the cut-off time will need to be Thursday 10h00. I can be reimbursed on Saturday. Should anyone require a permit for a 4x4 vehicle, I will need the vehicle registration number (no registration number is needed for single-entry motorcycle permits).

Date: Saturday 13 October 2012
Time: 08h30
Meeting place: Total garage off the R27 (West Coast Road) near Melkbosstrand.

Notes
-- I will maintain a participation list as the second entry of this thread
-- The most direct route into the dunes is via Gate 1. It is nevertheless somewhat testing for those less-skilled in sand riding
-- Please wear proper riding gear (off-road boots are essential; a neck brace is strongly recommended)
-- Please bring adequate water (hydration pack or alternative source - at least 2 litres), energy bars, etc.
-- For those sensitive to the sun, please bring a hat to use during breaks