Wellington to Zim - route advice sought

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tempesc

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 660 Z
Can anyone help me with a route from the Western Cape to Zimbabwe which I plan to ride June this year?  My provisional plan is here:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/editmid=zKjKcs_7OBRw.k6T2ClKg5iNU&usp=sharing

I have 13 days max to get to Binga (western end of Lake Kariba) and want to visit friends in Swaziland.  Nothing else is set in stone.

My thinking is:

Day 1: Wellington to George, via Oudtshoorn and Motangu pass.

Ideally I would have liked to ride the Swartberg Pass but I have read I should not ride it in the rain and that June is likely to be wet.  Realistically I suspect I can ride this or Baviaanskloof, but not both on my time budget.  I have gone for Baviaanskloof.  Sensible?

Day 2: George to Baviaanskloof (stopping somewhere around Zandvlaktse - either camping or guest house)

My KLR will be loaded up (I'll be on my way to Cairo) and I need to look after it.  It will be on K60 Scouts without rim locks so can't run the tyre pressures I would normally run.  Is it feasible to ride Baviaanskloof at that time of year (not sure what water levels/road conditions are like)?

Day 3: Baviaanskloof to Kirkwood/Addo Elephant Park

Day 4: Kirkwood/Addo to Hogsback

Day 5: Hogsback to Lesotho

Day 6: Lesotho to Underberg via Sani Pass

Day 7: Underberg to Dundee

Day 8: Dundee to Swaziland

Day 9: rest day in Swaziland

Day 10: Swaziland to Blyde River Canyon

Day 11:  Blyde River Canyon to Louis Trickhardt

Day 12: Louis Trickhardt to Bulawayo

Any tips for managing Beitbridge?

Day 13: Bulawayo to Binga

How does this sound as a route?
For the gravel roads what sort of tyre pressures do you guys run?
Any great places to stay along the way?

I'd really appreciate any thoughts.

Cheers
Andy