What is your philosophy or answer to "Should I get a bike"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oilspill

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph (all models)
I have a friend who is always asking me "Should I get a bike".... What are your philosophies about why you ride a bike…what advice would you give.  Mine are:
-  Nope do not get one, they are really dangerous  (I don't want his wife blaming me over his coffin),  its a choice each person has to make for themselves.
-  Just when you think you know how to ride a bike that is exactly the moment you come off.
-  It’s not a case of "if" you are going to come off, it’s "when"
-  If you cannot take the risk or the responsibility of what happens "when you come off" then do not ride a motorcycle, or stop riding until you can.
-  If you are unsure and scared about riding then either get the necessary training or experience in a group, or do not ride, but don't go all nanny and spoil it for the rest of us.
-  Do not start biking as a midlife crises thing.  If you have not done it most of your life then don't do it because it is really dangerous...if you must then buy a Harley or BMW, get the training and ride in a group until you are happy to die alone in the middle of nowhere.
- For all you fakkers who argue about “lane splitting”, it is legal and is scientifically proven to be safer", less shunts up the bum which accounts for a high percentage of motorcycle deaths.
-  If it rains then wear a rain suit.  If it pours then wear a really good rain suit.  Some of my best outings have been in the rain.
-  More is not necessarily better - Big heavy bikes mean big heavy bills and require big heavy talent and big heavy ego’s.  They can also limit flexibility and use and you really have to push way over the speed limits before things get exciting.  Less also has limitations, so get a balance that suits you.
-  Ask yourself this question...do you want to arrive at the pearly gates happy with a big smile on your dial, sliding in on a motorcycle with lots of smoke, oil and noise,  or do you want to arrive there safely?  Arrive there however you shall.

Just my thoughts for a boring monday.