What MTB, OPPAD and I have learned so far...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Detourer

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
OK, a nice thread I feel. We set out on this journey thinking we knew enough. But a few days in some pretty inhospitable terrain and some hiccups and we're all the wiser.

To kick it off from my side:

- I definitely NEED a centre-stand for my KLR.
MTB and I struggled with an old wonky car jack and uneven bricks (3 times in a row) to get the back wheel off the ground for a tube change. Never again. I highly recommned one if you don't have one yet (but I'm sure the experienced WDs know this all to well).

- The new 'aircon' Jacket mentioned on this forum (available from BikeGear.co.za) is a must.
For the hot areas (just ask mountainboy about Prince Albert Road and the Tankwa Highway!!!) this is a lifesaver. The packaging promised 2-3 hours cooling and we're not disappointed. I cannot reccomend this piece of clothing enough!

- Re-hydrate Sachets rock!
Carried a pack of these beauties and had one whenever I felt the slightest bit dry-in-the-mouth. No problems, but would not like to think about the alternative to not having them.  They weigh nothing and take up no space... and replace lost electrolytes and sweated-out salt almost instantly. I will carry them wherever I ride from now on. +/- R 7.00 per sachet from your nearest pharmacy. Lemon & Lime flavour tastes the least revolting. Stay clear of the blackcurrant. Ugggh!

- Sunlight Liquid
LGF carries a small container with sunlight soapy water to lube a tube change. Such a simple thing, but a huge energy saver. I see some stores have 15ml sachets of undiluted.... Add to the kit.

Sure MTB and Oppad will have some too...

;)