What should my dad buy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duster69

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Hi guys,

Don't know if this post is applicable to ktm but I am in a bind, and I own a 990 and received good advice here previously so here goes.

My dad who is 63 now wants to join me on a short bike trip after which he will leave whatever bike he buys at the beach house to pop to the shops with. He hasn't really got biking experience. He does cycle so he at least he has some balance.. My brother and I will accompany him on the above mentioned trip so he will be flanked by a 990 and 1150gsa. We will be taking it very slow and we ride in formation as to protect him from traffic from behind and infront., So atleast I can protect him in traffic at stop streets and intersections by taking control of the situation. For completeness sake I am a very competent rider with many cross country gravel trips etc under my belt so I can judge where trouble might creep up in terms of road conditions and skill levels.

I have seen him ride a scooter like bloody Valentino Rossi down a very curvy stretch of road so I am not too worried about his skill. The route will be basically stilbaai, riversdale, oudtshoorn, swartbergpas to prins albert, then meiringspoort, 40km into baviaans, from there double back go through the knysna bush and on to natures valley, then knysna 7 passes route and n2 back to stilbay. We will be doing around 80-95kmh on tar and gravel as slow as it needs be, less then 40-50 kmh at all times.

I will have about two months to teach him all the basic do's and don't and take him on short rides to build his confidence..

My questions are:

- He has had a back opp and is fully recovered and strong, but should he come off at basically any speed it'll be a major f-up. Is the risk worth the amazing memories? we have never ridden together..

- If we do this should I allow him to do swartbergpas, even at like 5kmh? (he wants to experience the scenerey...)? or should I lift him to the bottom and lift my brother back up to fetch his bike?

- Should this trip be attempted at all???

- Which bike? (he is picky) wants something non japanese, has his eyes on a royal enfield  :lol8: or a bmw r80, Thing is he wants to do just this trip and then park it and pop to the shops on it when on holiday so budget is like 50k max. And yes I know those bikes aren't really ideal for swartberg :lol8: I showed him honda crf230's and the like but no. "they are ugly, and japanese" :imaposer:

-Should something happento him I would feel guilty for the rest of my life, I shared my trip plans and he got this longing look in his eyes and said he wants to join. What should I do? He has a 4x4 but no, het wants to experience it on a bike. I am in a bind.