WHEN PLANNING A RIDE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEON DEON

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
I like to do multiple day tours , like the riding , the adventure of a bike tour  as those that dont do it is always amazed when you say we have been on the bike from Johannesburg and you arrive in Cape town . I normally plan my days around a 500 kilo trip ,sometime is more , some times less . I book accommodation ahead so know where we will be sleeping . Have a budget for this , and try to make an educated guess as to what we receive for the money charged per night , If breakfast is included then that could be a added bonus .
What I am after is how / what do you look for on route? Do you plan your trip with multiple stops ? My partner say I /we end up going flat out from departure to arrival , I dont agree , but she says its always a couple hours of hard butt ride . In my defence , road side farm stalls is not my favourite stop , As I see them as expensive , Yes when nature calls , I stop , last year on our way to Oudshoorn from Middleburg we had to do a nature call stop , there is a farm stall  " OPPI VLAK PADSTAL" just before the Beervlei dam , pulled in lots of visitors , nothing that says buy me , partner goes to the loo ( outside) and its a long drop  :imaposer:, she decides she will pinch to the next proper stop , 40 odd ks to Willowmore.
i enjoy the ride , but I could be missing out on places to see and experience. I make ample use of google earth when planning a route , like mountain passes , and try to ride as many of them as possible when on a tour .
In most cases one can only book in at around 14h00 and arriving early , we end up going for lunch and a beer . not much sight seeing gets done then . more of the same the next day . So when I start planning the next tour , not sure when as my partner has just had major hart surgery and Dr says no biking for a year , Not sure if she is exaggerating , but not riding my 1190 for that long will be a disaster ( fortunately I  commute by bike daily ) .
How does one make the tour super special and interesting? When the riding is the best there is !