Would you buy a new old bike? Suzuki DR650SE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you buy a fully rebuilt DR650SE?

• Yes! Where do I sign?

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I am interested. Ask me once the bike is ready!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No! I want at least two cylinders, more power, EFI, traction control, ABS and a colour TFT screen.

• My next bike must be electric!

• Other: Not allowed to buy a bike, no cash, or one of the other reasons which always hold us down.

• Total voters

lecap

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
Background:
I have a fairly neat but very high mileage 2000 model DR650SE and a customer's wreck with nothing much usable left of its engine. Both bikes are papered and paid up.
Plan:
I build a brand new engine using the old casings. I replace everything inside. Nikasil, piston, rings, con rod, mains and all other bearings, clutch...
Rebuild the transmission with what is needed / shows wear AND a Nova Racing 3rd gear set.
( A full wide ratio Nova racing transmission is an option if this gets ordered and this will be S.Q. and add the additional cost of the Nova Racing parts, estimated close to + R20 000 )
Everything chassis side is 100%. Perfect wheels with no dings, all bearings greased and checked, many long term parts are almost brand new like the EBC floating front disc which has done 3000km.
Some nice aftermarket parts will come with the bike. But generally and mostly the bike is stock. I will list the aftermarket stuff for an interested buyer.
A set of new tyres of choice as well as a new DID X-ring chain and PBR sprockets are included.
RWC included.
This will take about three months to get the parts and do the work.

Goals:
I can give the owner of the wreck some decent money and use some parts of that bike.
I can build a nice bike from my old one, have a cool job and make good money from the job rather than flogging it for cheap.
Some one is going to ride a nice DR650SE with a brand new engine into the sunset.

Price: R 80 000

More details and everything listed in writing if someone is interested.