X-Challenge using oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michp01

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW G650 X-challenge
Hi Guys

I bought a X Challenge and I have done about 2000 km with it since i got it. 1000 Km in i had to take it in to have valve clearances set ( bike wouldnt start and i was told its a common thing on an X Challenge)

I started it about a week ago and the engine made a terrible rattling sound on the inside( valves were clearly unhapphy). i checked the oil and had to put 1.5 litres of oil in it!!

The noise went away but now I notice the occasional white puff of smoke when blipping the throttle or upon decelarating against compression and pulling of again.

I have done about 200km after topping up oil and the level seems steady. Still puffs a bit when i ride it hard and then blip the throttle.

These motors dont smoke or do they? I was told a rotax is bulletproof?
I know it is going to use oil in time but how much is normal and the smoking gun, is that normal? could it be fueling? am i just paranoid?

Other X challenge owners or dakar guys, is there anyone with the same problem? could it be that the guy setting the valves made a balls up? before i take it to the dealer is there some advice from you guys?

Thanx