Xenon Headlight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KLRChris

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Last week Saturday my main headlight blew (I have a 2009 model with 2 x globes). I have always had problems with the poor lights on the KLR and manually set my headlight to shine lower, otherwise every oncoming car flashes me. I rode my KLR through the Karoo last year from CT to PTA and it was bad, trucks would just turn on all their spotlights and I had to stop and wait quite a few times... long story short, I needed more light at less irritation to oncoming traffic.

So I bought a Xenon Upgrade kit, for only R258 for BOTH globes (You have to do both at the same time apparently). Installation took about 20 minutes, you have to take off the front part of the cycle to get to the light, I found it is much easier to just remove the whole story, unplug the indicators, and work on a bench instead of working upside down.

Changed to globes, what a difference! There is a much brighter more white light, I can see MUCH better even with only the main on and bright off. I took it out in the rain last night, not too much reflection and could see very well. In streets with no lights it looks like a white spotlight, warning signs much brighter. Went home, slapped on my GoPro on the helmet, but it is terrible at night and wasn't much use...

I swapped bikes with Houbie (who usually rides with me) and rode in front, I can say even with brights on (thus both lamps on) still not an irritation to oncoming traffic.

I thought fo going HID, heard that you cannot flash someone if need be, and I don't want to add extra electronics, cannot say how much better the HID is to the Xenon, but Xenon imo is worth it if you want more light for the same wattage (both 55W so no extra strain on the power system). + it is cheap.

Ride safe!

KLRChris