XT660 R steering head bearings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subie

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR125L
Just a little tip for you okes with XT660R bikes.
I have just done my steering head bearings. Actually only the bottom one as the top one is still perfect.
I greased my bearings at 10000km and now at 37000km  I could feel there is a problem. My bike stands a lot,I don't even ride it to the café just adventure trips.
Got my bearing from Centurion Bearing supplies in Jakaranda str. They will try and sell you a Chinese one over the counter,stay away from that and ask the oke to order you a quality bearing. I got a Timken 32006
(cannot remember the letter after the number now) which I waited 3 days for. Cost R150. They had no dustcover but I got a proper double lip seal (R20) and "adapted" it a bit. Works and fit perfectly.
If you are not mechanically minded my advice would be to stay away from attempting this.
If you have a bit of time on your hands, some mechanical feel and common sense then save yourself a lot of bucks and do it . No big deal to remove the races or cups. I have no workbench or vice just some handtools
and was still a straight forward job. I should have taken pics while worked on the bike but I just have no patience for that.  Remember that bottom seal cover is important. I unfortunately damaged mine while removing the bearing. Important to get the "nut  tension" right  when you assembling again. Be liberal with good quality waterproof ghrease.

Here is a basic little video just to help  someone hopefully.  :ricky: