XT660Z Primary drive gear nut

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heineken2

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
Evening dogs

A friend of mine came past last week after a tour with his engine sounding horrible. After some research we figured it could be the primary drive gear nut that loosened and seems to be a problem on the XT's.

Anyway, he left his bike with me to eventually take it to Yamaha to fix. Later I reckoned screw it, I'll open it myself and see whether it is the problem indeed. Now I am not a mechanic as many of you here, but I aint afraid of trying new things either. So, I downloaded the manual and opened the bike. Sure as hell, the nut is loose.

Being inside an engine for the first time I turned the gears on the crankshaft until I could no more ( by hand ). Not sure why I did this....exploring I suppose. I then proceeded to take off the water pump drive gear and the primary drive gear. At this stage the balancer drive gear and the balancer driven gear can turn freely. These two gears were not removed and the markings on them still align ( I didn't turn the crankshaft at this stage ). Now, my question.

Before I reassemble, should I turn the crankshaft ( with the straight key holding all the gears in place ) until the piston is at TDC or doesn't it matter? Hope I make my question clear enough.

Thanks and cheers,
Nambo