Zumo 660 - need maps... without taking out a mortgage... :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThomasZA

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Hey guys,

So I recently replaced my written off 690 Enduro with a 990 Adventure S... which came with GPS.... which I thought was pretty awesome...  :ricky:

However - searching for roads initially seemed to not work... at all.... (seems to come with Europe maps on the device, not too sure what was on the installed SD)  :mad:

knowing the maps on these garmin's can be tempremental (at least they were when I had my Nuvi 660 many years ago) I decided to not tinker with the existing micro-sd in the thing... so I added the spare from my go-pro, and loaded maps from "https://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/"  :thumleft:

Good news... now I can sort of navigate... it seems to find some places - but the road coverage is still not great...

So now - are there better free mapsets out there? what has the best coverage of cities and the forgotten little dorpies? Can anyone that has a garmin help me out?

I want to use the device - but I cant justify forking out thousands of rands for map updates - which seem to be free for life with pretty much any other provider... I like the convenience of the GPS there, but its pointless if it doesnt find places that I want to get to... then I may as well just use Sygic on my phone... but I really dont want to strap my phone to my bike if I can rather just use a purpose built device which is already fitted there...
:sip:
PM's and mails are welcome if you have map sources I can check out...