Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Advice please Aus to Ai Ais  (Read 1436 times)

Offline Vaalseun

Advice please Aus to Ai Ais
« on: October 28, 2012, 08:13:31 am »
Which is the best (as in most worthwile ride) from Aus to Ai Ais? Would it be via Rosh Pinnah or via Seeheim? I was thinking the route via Rosh Pinnah would be better, as it would include the stretch along the river.

The plan is to go to the Canyon as an outride from Ai Ais, so please disregard that aspect.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 10:29:34 am by Vaalseun »

Offline katana

• I may be cheap, but I am not a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Born again 1/7/2020
Re: Advice please Aus to Ai Ais
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 09:35:21 am »
Speaking under correction, but Ai-Ais to Aus is Via Seeheim - going past the Fish River Canyon and Canon Roadhouse in the process; Been there done that.  Rosh Pinnah will take you from Aus to Vioolsdrif, bypassing Ai-Ais completely; what I was told in Klein Aus Vista.
If you want to haul ass, you gotta mix gas.

Online ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 11:19:13 am »
Rosh Pinah route will have a 70/80km dirt section from RP to Vioolsdrift - although I understand it's being tarred? There was bridges washed away and roads damaged when we tried that route last year - we had to go via Seehen in the end.

There is also a dirt track going from about 15km south of the Gamchab river NE to the D316 which then joins the C10 to Ais-Ais. I have not taken it, but it is visible on Google Earth - it follows the Gamchab river.
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Online DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 11:29:49 am »
Just do a circular route.
Ais Ais a bit back to Noordoewer and then turn off right to Aussenkeher and then to Rosh Pinah.
Tar all the way to Aus.
Aus to Seeheim tar all the way.
Seeheim to Canyon Raodhouse and then the viewpoint at Hobas and then to Ais Ais again.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Vaalseun

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 02:16:09 pm »
Thanks All.

Chris, I will be going up the eastern side of Namibia over Koes and Rehoboth, coming down the west through Solitaire, Betta and Aus. So, the question is really if I should go Aus-Rosh Pinnah-Ai Ais or Aus-Seeheim-Ai Ais.

Once in Ai Ais, I will do an outride to the Canyon and then to the Canyon Roadhouse for lunch, back to Ai Ais, then back to Gauteng via Onseepkans from there. Therefore I will not miss out on those.

I thought Aus-Rosh Pinnah-Ai Ais would be more scenic. If this is the proposed route, I would probably gooi a a lefty just before Aussenkehr and take the D207 to Ai Ais instead of passing all the way through Aussenkehr and tar from Noordoewer.

I also imagine the washed out roads would have been fixed by now, I mean after all, we are not talking South Africa now where such minor repair work could take a few years to accomplish. 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 02:39:33 pm by Vaalseun »

Online DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 02:51:53 pm »
Vaalseun this is what I will do if were you.
Do Aus to RPInah and left before AKehr.
Go to Ais Ais and on the way home go past Canyon RHouse and go past it to the Seeheim-Grunua
T junction. Turn right there and go to Grunau and the on the tar for home.
If you do that the distance will be the same as Canyon and back to Ai Ais and then you still have
to go to Grunau to get to the tar or to Karasburg if you want to keep on dirt.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 02:52:18 pm by chrisL »
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Online DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 03:15:00 pm »
I see now you want to go back via Onseepkans.
If you do the Grunau piece I mentioned go 60 kms on tar to Karasburg and then go south to Onseepkans OR you can go
to Warmbad and then to Onseepkans.
When at Onseep turn left at the first road to get to Upington. Do not go strait on to Pofadder.
Much further and a bad road.
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Online ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 04:05:10 pm »
Probably have repaired the road - or at least made another plan - the washed out sections were about 500m wide where the Fish River came down in flood and wiped out massive sections. Happened 2 days before we got there so the road was still completely closed.

Canon roadhouse is quite close to the Fish River Canyon viewsite - worth the 30km trip up the road & back - go to the Hobas campsite and turn right at the gate - 10km up  the road....
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Vaalseun

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 06:10:16 pm »
Thanks guys, that's very helpful

Offline skoongat

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 06:54:04 pm »
If you want to do as much gravel as possible, then I suggest you turn off at Helmeringhausen and carry on to Bethanie, cross the tar road and then take either the Kyk-in-die-Pot road or the Witputs road to Rosh Pinah. The Witputs road has a little more sand as well as a farmer's hek you have to open. Both meet up with the Aus - Rosh Pinah road, Witputs then has 45km of tar to Rosh Pinah and KIDP about 80km.

Aus to Rosh Pinah by tar is a boring 165km.

The Gamkab shortcut is great.

skoongat

Offline Road Hog

• Member No. 6196
  • Race Dog
  • Walvis Bay
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 10:43:39 pm »
If you want to do as much gravel as possible, then I suggest you turn off at Helmeringhausen and carry on to Bethanie, cross the tar road and then take either the Kyk-in-die-Pot road or the Witputs road to Rosh Pinah. The Witputs road has a little more sand as well as a farmer's hek you have to open. Both meet up with the Aus - Rosh Pinah road, Witputs then has 45km of tar to Rosh Pinah and KIDP about 80km.

skoongat

Sorry for the highjack.

Skoongat where in Namibia are you from?
2009 KTM 990 Adventure
2011 Honda XR650L

If you think you can, you're right.
If you think you can't, you're right.

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
    • Social Travel Digital solutions
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 01:53:02 am »

skoongat

Sorry for the highjack.

Skoongat where in Namibia are you from?

I guess he is just past vuilgat  :peepwall:

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.

Offline skoongat

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 09:40:27 am »
Originally the far South. Now Windhoek.

Offline Werdus Smith

• Pack Dog
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 11:16:08 am »

skoongat
This would be my suggestion as well. Stick to the gravel and bypass the boring tar bits.

Offline Vaalseun

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 09:13:34 pm »

skoongat

Thanks ou skoongat, I will check that out. My plan is to give the black stuff a skip where possible.