Preferred my XR650L to KTM640 Adv

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blauth

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
I have owned both bikes and I would absolutely own a XR650L again but never a KTM640 Adventure again.

This is why:
1) out of the box, I got on better with the XR suspension. Plush on the small corrugations and I never got out of sorts in tough terrain.
2) the XR engine is quiet and does not sound like it is going to self destruct at any second.
3) the XR is super smooth (engine vibes) compared to the KTM
4) on paper the weight is not much different but when ridden, the XR feels 20% lighter.
5) the XR is well balanced hence it's light riding nature and turns when the footpegs are weighted. The KTM is a barge!
6) the XR does not suffer from head shake. My KTM was horrible. Suspension adjustment didn't sort it out. My mates 640 does the same. Crap geometry in my opinion.
7) fill up the tank on the KTM and learn to ride another bike, that's how mush the riding geometry changes. Not so on the XR after I put on the 21.5 liter acerbis tank.
8) the rims are so soft, square wheels are more common than round. XR has super strong wheels.
9) wheelies are cool on the XR, KTM not so much.
10) the headlight on the XR, as crap as it is is still 100% bett than the KTM lights.

The KTM was better in the following respects:
- didn't have to buy an aftermarket tank or anything other than a slip on pipe for that matter. The XR needs quite a bit of stuff.
- the KTM is more powerful
- KTM looks better. The XR is ugly as sin, especially with that headlight.

The terrain I like to ride in so varied from tar to hectic rock climbs.

By the way, this is not brand bashing, my current ride is a KTM525 and I love it.

Ok, let's have it..... :pot: