Adventure bike dysmorphia

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianhogg

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki Versys
transfered from: https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=122576.0
This is part of a discussion about which bike I was going to take on a weekend away trip. Ian

If the truth be told adventure bikes weighing in at a quarter of a tonne do suffer from a severe dysmorphia. They would like to believe they are thin lean dirt machines but in fact they are fat, lazy touring bikes. After all, who would make a dirt bike with two big metal bollards sticking out each side? I think the manufacturers struggle with whether they are making a dirt bike that goes on the road or a road bike that goes on the dirt. A couple of days ago I went to the launch of the new big KTM. KTM did try and make dirt bikes for the road but now I see they have given in and produced what the market really wants - a road bike for the dirt. Not only that but they have decided that the bike buying public needs apps. on their bike like they have on their cellphones. For instance, there are a couple of wires going into the fork tubes to run a servo motor that will adjust your rebound as you ride. Hang on! things get tough, you look down and open menu/scroll through menu/ find front forks/ fork adjustment/ rebound setting/ select up or down/ confirm/ return menu.  I think you will be over the handlebars by then! Also the buying public who can afford this bike will be old men like me & we will have to put our glasses on to actually see the menu!