Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: My Retirement Bike ?  (Read 12341 times)

Offline Yami Super 10

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • 1200 Super 10
Re: My Retirement Bike ?
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2013, 11:13:11 pm »
Ek is nou glad nie n Honda fan nie, maar ek moet se....die Afrika twin. Daai fiets is soos n ou Ford kannie dood.
Dink dis nou n fiets wat jou nie sal bankrot maak nie, en maklik om self te herstel :thumleft:
Geduld
Is n stadige manier om jou moer te strip!
Bikes: 2010 & 2019 ST1200
          2014 660XT

Offline Bubby

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2013, 11:19:05 pm »
                                                              My Long Term Retirement Planning

The Scenario : About ten years from now I'm going to stop working, sell everything I own, get on a bike and ride untill its time to move on.

The Problem : I won't have money to buy that bike then... I must buy it now, take care of it and one day ride into the sunset with it.

The Question : What would you say is the most solidly reliable bike available secondhand now, that can still be able to do the job then ?

I have my idea, what is yours ?

Jup at that age you need a light bike with a big seat for two and big panniers for all your tablets...

Offline GD

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: Re: My Retirement Bike ?
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2013, 12:12:21 am »
Get a landrover, you can always fix it and if you are worried about living too long the ride is guaranteed to kill you. :-P

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
GD

The only way out, is FLAT OUT!

Offline Fudmucker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2013, 07:04:29 am »
 :deal: Take the price of paying off a R200k bike and deposit that monthly into a unit trust account for the next five years.
Then start looking at bikes...

The new water boxer may well be the bike you buy in five years...  :pot:
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Offline Rooikat

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR500
  • Honda XL500S
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2013, 07:40:59 am »
I'm a Honda fan. The KLE500 I had for a short while didn't impress, neither did either of the BMWs. The problem is that no manufacturer now caters for DS riding (specifically my requirements), that includes Honda. That's why my present bike is 33 years old......

Jup, I think your best bet for your type of riding, is one of the twin pot BMWs - spares won't be a problem (apart from expense), even in 20 years' time!
"The only reason for cleaning things is if you want to mount, frame and hang them in your living room" - The famous CJC

"The older I get, the better I was."

"I don't care a f*** what it looks like, as long as it works" - The famous CJC

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2013, 07:50:59 am »
Few things to consider:

If you're going side car, are you going to do less off road and more on road?

10 years time you'll have less bravado and more sense(not that you do not have now :) ) in terms of the whale type bikes ie: 1150 GS: falling over/picking up?

Must be tubeless,

Still be enjoyable to look at 20years from now :thumleft:

Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

Offline Ratt

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • An experiment in Artificial Stupidity...
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2013, 08:00:25 am »
The AT is a great bike, but you already struggle to find parts. 1150GSA, yes and no, loaded with the bike itselfs weight and also getting old. STen could be a option too. How do you feel about hondas main battle tank aka Goldwing? That thing is farkin comfortable and doesnt fall over far with those huge ass panniers.
I'm not saying kill stupid people, I'm saying, remove the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

**072 596 1303 in Knysna if you have troubles**

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2013, 08:07:11 am »
Honda 700? light on fuel, modern looking. Gravel travel ability but not serious stuff which you anyway wont do 2 up?

BMW F800GS? in terms of weight?

KTM690? Same as above?
Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

Offline Gerrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2013, 08:09:06 am »
Must be sort of DS that we can stay on gravel. Want to also stay on two wheels as long as possible. Remember, we will be going nowhere slowly, so I'll get one of Chris' winches to pull the bike up if it falls over.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2013, 08:15:03 am »
I'm a Honda fan. The KLE500 I had for a short while didn't impress, neither did either of the BMWs. The problem is that no manufacturer now caters for DS riding (specifically my requirements), that includes Honda. That's why my present bike is 33 years old......

Jup, I think your best bet for your type of riding, is one of the twin pot BMWs - spares won't be a problem (apart from expense), even in 20 years' time!

Curious, how is a 30y/o XR500 a better DS bike than all the bikes available on the market today?
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline 1ougat

• The Commodore !!!
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • The Commodore
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2013, 08:27:33 am »
Jup - ek het n scary storie wat ek met jou moet deel . Seker so 10 jaar terug sit ek met n vriend van my en praat by die werk tydens teetyd . Se hy dat hy besig is om sy pa se garage op te ruim ... vra nou wat is in die garage .... al gereegskap en draaibanke en bore en als wat jy aan kan dink ....hoe oud is jou pa? nee so 68 .... nou hoekom wil jy nou sy garage opruim ? Nou die kort version is - die oom het alles beplan oor wat hy gaan doen na aftrede en alles gekoop om dit te laat gebeur ... en toe gee sy oe in ... Dit het my as n 40 jarige laat skrik .... so daardie jaar my eerste buket list ding gedoen ... Ile of man , le Mans en Goodwood festival of speed ... terug gekom na die drie weke trip en my kar ingeruil op n MGB sodat em met hom werk toe kan ry en naweke kan Historic racing doen ..  daai storie het my so laat skrik om dinge te begin doen en nie te wag nie ... intussen begin seil en as die Here my spaar sping ons die 4 Jan 2014 weg op die Cape to Rio .... my filosofie is nou ... eendag as ek op die stoep sit wil ek praat oor wat ek gedoen het en nie oor wat ek wou nie .... die ander ding is my pa is dood op 50 ... so gesondheid besluit jy nie self oor nie .... leef in die nou .... so my raad is ...  koop daai fiets nou en begin hom nou ry en diens hom en bly net ry ... soos Rodriges gese het die secret to life is to breath in and out , the mystery of life is you dont know when it wil end ....  so die regte fiets ? dis die een wat jy nou het ... begin ry ou pel
Make mine a Boxer with a shaft!!!!
2006 R1200 HP2 !!!! - La Poderosa - "The Mighty One"
1965 R50/2
1996 R80 GS PD Classic
2010 1200 GS 1975 Suzuki AC50

Offline wackhead

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2013, 08:30:15 am »
Hi

Another thing to look at is what roads will be like in 10 years time!

I would go the BMW route as it is comfortable with low centre of gravity, good spares avalailability and able to do very high mileage due to Nicasil bore coat.  Other bites have higher COG, and parts availability may be poor in 10 years time.  

I would by closer to the time (3yrs before) when you have a better idea of your health etc and in the meantime buy Allen Gray or Coronation unit trusts at R3000 per month which will pay for the bike and farkles.  Make you own sidecar to suit your adventures.  

Good to have a stunning dream!

Offline Buddy

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2013, 08:42:15 am »
Besides the condition of roads in 10 years time, will there be enough petrol and at what price per liter? Will an older bike be able to run on what will be available then?
What would be the cost to allow an older bike to run reliably on an almost pure alcohol mix?
The Townkraaier of Kraaifontein

Offline J-dog

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2013, 08:49:52 am »
why 1150 gerhard, and not a 1200?

Offline Gerrard

• Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2013, 08:53:13 am »
Karl, dis presies wat ek doen en my katalis was my eie pa. Ek leef vandag, geen finansile aftreeplan, spaar geld, niks nie. Daarom s ek, ek gaan nie, wanneer ek ophou werk, geld h vir 'n bike nie. As ek kan, weet ek ek gaan bike ry, so die dat ek nou wil begin om hom te kry. Intussen gaan hy natuurlik gery word. Dis wat ons doen. Ry bike.

My pa het sy hele lewe gewerk en homself ingekort vir sy aftrede. Hy het goed gedoen en toe gee sy gesondheid in. Daar sit hy vandag, 76 jaar oud, met 'n huis en verpligtinge, worries en dies meer. Ek wil dit nie h nie.

Toe ek jonk was wou ek 'n bum wees, 'n suksesvolle een. Dis steeds my plan. Die dag as ek ophou werk, gaan ek ons lewe op 'n bike pak en ronddrentel. Wat nie op die bike pas nie, raak ons ontslae van. Die hele idee... om ons lewe absoluut te vereenvoudig.

Dis nie heeltemal so eenvoudig nie. Die kinders kom ook nog weer in die prentjie in, na ek hulle vir die lewe voorberei en op hulle pad gestuur het.

Dis die idee. Ek het 'n ordentlike bike nodig om ons lewens op te pak.

Offline Gerrard

• Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2013, 08:57:17 am »
why 1150 gerhard, and not a 1200?

No real reason based on fact. Just a feeling that the 1150, and I forgot about the 1100, are more 'solid' bikes. You know I'm an incurable romantic.  :biggrin:

Offline LanceSA

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a bike.
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2013, 09:07:15 am »
Were it me, I would take a Suzuki dr 650. But that would be one up. Just ask Michnus what he thinks about water cooled bikes.....
It's a friggin' motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The windnoise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you scared every now and then. Suck it up. -- Scary Gary Mc

Offline Footpeg se PA

• Pack Dog
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2013, 09:08:37 am »
Yes Jup, 1150GSA is die regte bike, gelukkig hoef ek nie een te soek nie, het hom alreeds. :ricky: :ricky: :ricky:

Offline 1ougat

• The Commodore !!!
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • The Commodore
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2013, 09:12:42 am »
Dis die idee. Ek het 'n ordentlike bike nodig om ons lewens op te pak.

:thumleft: Klink jy het dieselfde les as ek geleer - so doen so voort
Make mine a Boxer with a shaft!!!!
2006 R1200 HP2 !!!! - La Poderosa - "The Mighty One"
1965 R50/2
1996 R80 GS PD Classic
2010 1200 GS 1975 Suzuki AC50

Offline Rooikat

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR500
  • Honda XL500S
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2013, 09:16:02 am »

Curious, how is a 30y/o XR500 a better DS bike than all the bikes available on the market today?

I can pick it up..........solo! :laughing4:
Also, no electronics, no W/C
"The only reason for cleaning things is if you want to mount, frame and hang them in your living room" - The famous CJC

"The older I get, the better I was."

"I don't care a f*** what it looks like, as long as it works" - The famous CJC