Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: UNEXPLAINED FLAT REAR TIRE  (Read 826 times)

Offline Redline1

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Re: UNEXPLAINED FLAT REAR TIRE
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2013, 07:25:19 am »
No vavle leak, checked that one in the morning.
No CO2 cannister inflation, no sir.   :biggrin:

Could be as Bie and Smuggy says, a leak occured on the bead (sand) and corrected itself after it came of the rim, thats the only reasonable explenation at this point.  I have to say, when I checked the tire pressure in the morning, it was still the same as the previous weekend when we went for a ride, so it was not leaking up to that point. 

No
The valve did not seal after you checked pressure. Have seen this before, yesterday actually. I picked it up because I did the spit test. Replace the valve. It might happen again.
The tire then deflated slowly and got to a point where the vehicle weight or a bump pushed the bead into the rim well.

You should actually replace both the valve as well as the flexible rubber plug which carries the valve with every new  tubeless tire fitted. I know I always get puzzled looks when I ask at the fitment centre. If you have rigid valve plugs in your rim only replace the valve.

That makes sense. I have had the same problem and couldn't work it out, but now that I think back it sounds right. Thanks.
Chinese proverb: 讀萬卷書不如行萬里路
Reading ten thousand books is not as useful as travelling ten thousand miles

Offline GIDEON

• Born in the year of the Tiger
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Bikes est dans mon sang
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2013, 07:37:45 am »
Also agree with the valve. Happend to me luckly not so drastic as yours.
Tire was fine but flat.
learned 2 lessons.
Always make sure you have the valve cap on.
And check the valve. and carry some extra.
 :thumleft:

Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.

Offline Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2013, 08:22:10 am »
No valve leak, checked that one in the morning.
No CO2 canister inflation, no sir.   :biggrin:

Could be as Bie and Smuggy says, a leak occured on the bead (sand) and corrected itself after it came of the rim, thats the only reasonable explenation at this point.  I have to say, when I checked the tire pressure in the morning, it was still the same as the previous weekend when we went for a ride, so it was not leaking up to that point. 

No
The valve did not seal after you checked pressure. Have seen this before, yesterday actually. I picked it up because I did the spit test. Replace the valve. It might happen again.
The tire then deflated slowly and got to a point where the vehicle weight or a bump pushed the bead into the rim well.

You should actually replace both the valve as well as the flexible rubber plug which carries the valve with every new  tubeless tire fitted. I know I always get puzzled looks when I ask at the fitment centre. If you have rigid valve plugs in your rim only replace the valve.

Thanks lecap, makes sense, but I still do not believe that the valve leaked.  After I checked the pressure I did the spit test, nada leak.  Then I placed the valve cap back, it is one of those metal oukies that has the seal on the inside of the cap, so in my mind, if there was a slight leak, the valve cap should have stopped that.

What does make sense is that the wheel was deflated to such a point (the reason for the deflation still a misery),  that when I went through the bumps (there were three in a row just before the incident, with the last bump quite a hard one) that it pushed the bead into the rim well.   :thumleft:

No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L - Sold,   Honda CRF250Rally back in the stable,   BMW K1200LT.

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2013, 08:30:30 am »
Was die tyre orals pap, of net die onderkant op die pad  :peepwall:

Offline Vis Arend

• Grey hound
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2013, 08:33:28 am »

:laughing4:

Toe ek stop net onder.   :biggrin:
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L - Sold,   Honda CRF250Rally back in the stable,   BMW K1200LT.

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2013, 08:39:44 am »

:laughing4:

Toe ek stop net onder.   :biggrin:

Jy was lucky  :thumleft:  :imaposer:

Offline ETS

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure S
  • Die Punda van Prieska
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2013, 09:06:26 am »
My guess would rather be that a little stone worked into the tyre between the rim and the tyre and it caused a slow leak--- mens voel mos nie altyd as die band pap word nie. When you hit the bump it deflated rapidly and then came off the bead. My 2c--- not a nice thing to happen.
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......

Offline lecap

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2013, 08:32:53 am »
There is a good chance that the tire was perfectly fine and inflated up until the bump. Happens a lot with tubeless tires when you go over a kerb. Sometimes without rim damage. A good old pothole has potential to do the same.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Draad

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2013, 07:30:04 pm »
blow out at 120 is not as severe as 80 but becomes the same as you slow down...had a front blow on me at 140 ( African twin ... and we all know how kak they are balanced to the front) and only started doing tar ballet at round 90. Managed to control the fully loaded Twin.. The Africa twin is also prob the most dangerous kak bike I have ever ridden and managed to save it.
Sies jou VARK !!

Offline Leo

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2013, 10:11:33 am »
Could be a so called "impact puncture"

Happens when tyre is not inflated to specifications and it suddenly collides with a hard object like a stone/rock or even a pothole.

A leak at the vale will escape over time, no suddenly.  :thumleft:
Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!

Offline Vis Arend

• Grey hound
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2013, 10:15:23 am »
Could be a so called "impact puncture"

Happens when tyre is not inflated to specifications and it suddenly collides with a hard object like a stone/rock or even a pothole.

A leak at the vale will escape over time, no suddenly.  :thumleft:

Thanks, looking at all the comments, I came to the conclusion that it was most likely the cause of the flat.